Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side Loading roof-rack at the beach

Johnboy

Johnboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I had some fun at the beach just before Christmas.

I visited the North East coast while visiting family, this inevitably involved going to the beach (in the Beach). However having arrived, the car park had a 2.1 meter barrier and I had my top boxes on the roof.
After searching for another parking place I decided to by-pass this height restriction by dropping my roofrack and then driving in..... I had always wanted to do this, so I was chuckling away to myself how easy it was.
When it was time to go we returned to the carpark only to find another van that was "just too high", stuck underneath the barrier. He was out of the van, checking the clearance and he kept glancing over at my Cali with the boxes firmly on the roof. Eventually he gave up and drove off before I made my exit.

I passed him (with a big grin on my face) 3 minutes later squeezing into a space at the roadside verge. He was stumped when I went past, because he had just seen me a moment ago behind the barrier in the carpark. !!
:);)

BARRIER.jpgBARRIER1.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I’m interested in getting some roof bars and think this option of dropping them sideways looks excellent. Do you have any advice on the type of roof bars that you can do this with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

This is my own design of side loading roofrack - "Kombi-rak". It is a dedicated side loading system which bolts directly onto the California roof tracks.
So you don't need any other bars, however you do need suitable brackets for side loading - depending what you are carrying.

Hi,

This is my own design of side loading roofrack - "Kombi-rak". It is a dedicated side loading system which bolts directly onto the California roof tracks.
So you don't need any other bars, however you do need suitable brackets for side loading - depending what you are carrying.

Thanks. Excellent bit of DIY. I’ll get sorted with standard bars first then see if I can emulate your idea. (Imitation being a sincere form of flattery)

Genius. How can you resist doing that at every 2.1 metre barrier you pass ? You do look smug by the way

To be honest..... I was feeling smug and I couldn't stop grinning when I passed the other chap. I would have liked him to have seen it in action tho'

Thanks. Excellent bit of DIY. I’ll get sorted with standard bars first then see if I can emulate your idea. (Imitation being a sincere form of flattery)

Thanks for the comment - I think the DIY bit will be difficult.
I have invested half a California is this project. I made two prototypes (which set me back £1200 each), before ordering the Aluminum to make the final design.
I make all the parts "in-house" to keep the costs down.

I have sold a few to forum members and by word of mouth. Also there is one up in Newcastle if you wanted to see it.
John

Thanks again for posting this. I found the above video demo of your rack that I’m sure others will also be interested to see.

Neat trick John and good luck with this project, always grateful for your engineering expertise on our inside table bracket.

Ken

I had some fun at the beach just before Christmas.

I visited the North East coast while visiting family, this inevitably involved going to the beach (in the Beach). However having arrived, the car park had a 2.1 meter barrier and I had my top boxes on the roof.
After searching for another parking place I decided to by-pass this height restriction by dropping my roofrack and then driving in..... I had always wanted to do this, so I was chuckling away to myself how easy it was.
When it was time to go we returned to the carpark only to find another van that was "just too high", stuck underneath the barrier. He was out of the van, checking the clearance and he kept glancing over at my Cali with the boxes firmly on the roof. Eventually he gave up and drove off before I made my exit.

I passed him (with a big grin on my face) 3 minutes later squeezing into a space at the roadside verge. He was stumped when I went past, because he had just seen me a moment ago behind the barrier in the carpark. !!
:);)

View attachment 103454View attachment 103455
Hi,
Today I posted a request for ideas as to loading a kayak on the Cali roof, and someone said to check you out.
I see in a post below that you may be able to supply the system you've developed? If you can, what's the cost likely to be?
Thnx, John

Back