Side rails and mud flaps

snowy55

snowy55

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi there

Can side rails and mud flaps be fitted or do they get in the way of each other?

only if you fit VW side rails .if you fit none vw ones longer rails ,you will need to take a large car jack with you .as vw jack will not fit ,as long bars cover up jacking points . ;) mud flaps will fit both .

I fancy these, are they difficult to fit yourself or do I need to get the mechanic to fit them? I am fairly handy with a spanner but sometimes lack a bit of confidence.

Mudflaps are a 5 min job with torx head

Side bars take about an hour. You will need a Dremel thou.

Where are you? Would be more then happy to do them with you

I have the Factory fit mudflaps fitted already, I also have a Dremel (why would I need that?) I will have a look at direct 4x4 and see what's required, are these the best VFM bars? Thanks for the offer of help I may take you up on that.

Fitted mine a month ago.

There are plastic splash guards underneath running the whole length of the Cali. These tuck right up to the sill. The 4 x mounting plates have 2 specially designed bolts for each of them that slip into existing holes in the sill and the splash guards have to be trimmed round these to fit back snugly. I used a Junior Hacksaw when I fitted my side rails.

Alan

As Alan says you trim the under guards where the mounts bolt up. The guards are very brittle fibreglass and can't be snipped like plastic. The instructions state you remove the whole guards but I found if you undo just the out edge you can lower it enough to slip the mounts in and trim it in place with a dremel. Happy to help fit them with you.

I choose the black bars as I have black Sportline wheels and the front spoiler with black inserts, had loads of compliments on them since fitting :mrgreen:

We have both (VW); well worth having although the bars are another bit to clean!
The rear flaps are quite low too so catch a bit but better than scraping the van!

rippers said:
As Alan says you trim the under guards where the mounts bolt up. The guards are very brittle fibreglass and can't be snipped like plastic. The instructions state you remove the whole guards but I found if you undo just the out edge you can lower it enough to slip the mounts in and trim it in place with a dremel. Happy to help fit them with you.

I choose the black bars as I have black Sportline wheels and the front spoiler with black inserts, had loads of compliments on them since fitting :mrgreen:

I did the same. Getting right underneath to remove the shields completely was too difficult for an old b****r like me. Years ago I wouldn't have hesitated.
All really easy. I did paint the nuts with underseal to stop them rusting though...

Alan

I ran the front of cali onto leveing chocks wich gives enough clearance to get underneath.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

rippers said:
Did mine on the floor, love rolling about on my driveway lol

That's masochistic, I gave that up a long time ago not good for ones health !!

lol I've spent my last three days off underneath my splitty making and fitting new brake lines on, running cables and sorting the linkages... I wish I had ramps :lol:

Rippers,
Next time you're rolling around on the driveway, would you mind taking some photos of the fitting?........ Cheers :thumb :thanks

If you have the longer side bars like me all you need is a 17mm spanner ( don't quote me size) and pop the bar off in seconds then use the vw jack ... :thumb :thumb :bananadance
front mud flaps do ok ,but very close to bars thats all

Back