Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding Door - Lower Runner - Grease?

kurienp

kurienp

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
There seems to be some kind of a grease in the lower sliding door runners. What is it?
5b77d6b73f2f7f01851cf1a26cebcc6f.jpg

Personally I would get rid of any grease on the track. Probably the worst place you can park is where you are in the photo, on sand. As you get in/out of the van inevitably bits of grit etc will fall into the track creating a grinding paste. The runners are plastic so dont really need any lubrication between it and the track.

Agree. Better off dry. The white plastic wheel is meant to grip the track and turn, not slide along the track.

I believe you may be referring to the factory applied wax type material that can be seen at the edge of the sill ?
Is it opaque and waxy ?

I agree with Bri, it is supposed to be dry (maybe the dealer greased it for you) I clean mine with brake cleaner then add PTFE dry lubricant and rub dry with a cloth otherwise its a grit magnet.
Thanks Loz. Maybe it is dry PTFE. Will need to clean it as I can see some grime/dust there.

You see this in the rails of sliding doors , also on my 2012 Cali and my Renault Kangoo .
It's transparant to white color and looks more or less like candle wax .
Normal imo.

Just popped out to have a look at mine.
It’s not got any grease on it, but does have a whiteish strip, it’s like a rubberised PPF stuck on the track. I think it’s there so the wheel can grip it and turn rather than slide. Mine is a MY19 about 6 months old.
5837A2E5-4C75-4FD9-96FE-6D9A3F933E35.jpeg

Last edited:
Posted that when I was at West Wittering beach today. Was windy, so had some sand get in there. Before closing the door, brushed it off with a 1" painters brush and it cleaned up well. Now back home, will clean as Loz recommended and then put some dry PTFE lubricant and then rub dry with a cloth.

Thank you all (esp Loz) for your inputs :thumb

When you wash your Cali open the door and clean the general area to remove any grit and grime, dry lube periodically

Posted that when I was at West Wittering beach today. Was windy, so had some sand get in there. Before closing the door, brushed it off with a 1" painters brush and it cleaned up well. Now back home, will clean as Loz recommended and then put some dry PTFE lubricant and then rub dry with a cloth.

Thank you all (esp Loz) for your inputs :thumb
Make sure you vacuum the rubber seal where the sand has settled between the seal and the step.

Just popped out to have a look at mine.
It’s not got any grease on it, but does have a whiteish strip, it’s like a rubberised PPF stuck on the track. I think it’s there so the wheel can grip it and turn rather than slide. Mine is a MY19 about 6 months old.
View attachment 61164
And remove the build up off the roller as well.

Put some of this stuff on the rubber door seals - Gummi Pflege Stift. Keeps rubber in tip top condition. This is one place to purchase, there are others https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sonax-gummipflege-rubber-treatment-stick
Plus one for Gummi Pflege

The supplier Altvic was good enough to highlight is out of stock

Here where I get mine

I use it an all rubber seals pop top included, I’m a bit anal and I also use it on engine bay hoses, it keeps everything looking better than brand new.

If you want a large quantity of a similar product “Gummi Pflege” try Grove group

Grove group also do a Silicone based rubber “tyre treatment” if you want silicone oil based product.

The link below is the water based (the silicone type is made by Concept also)

( look at the wording on the front of the container)

Back