Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Smart motorways

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Seems a lot of people aren't aware of how smart motorways work.
This from the Pocket GPS site.

"The UK's smart motorways are catching more than 1,000 speeding motorists per week.

According to police figures, over 52,000 tickets were issued on 11 smart motorway sections in 2015.

This is a huge increase compared the same pre-smart stretches in 2010-11 which only clocked 2,000 speeding drivers.

A spokesman for the Department for Transport commented: "Smart motorways smooth traffic flow and cut congestion for millions of motorists, with evidence from trials showing they are just as safe as regular motorways."

He added: "Enforcement is a matter for the police and it is clear that speeding costs lives. However, we have been clear for a number of years that speed cameras should not be used to generate revenue." "

So all those drivers tearing past you in the speed limits aren't getting away with it.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-drive-on-a-smart-motorway

All the speed capture devices on these stretches are now automated, digitally sending the photos for prosecution straight to back office systems that, after a quick check, generates the Notice of Indented Prosecution, keeper declaration (who was driving) and other papers.
Speeders on the same sections previously would tend to be cops picking the worst offenders to stop and prosecute, with a few camera vans on some stretches, with operators picking the fastest to record.
Now there is no discretion.
These limits are one of the main reasons I opted for ACC - it's too easy otherwise to go with the flow.

We have them near me (M42) and they do work really well. I used to work in Solihull and the difference after they went in was significant to my daily drive with regards to congestion.

I would say they even seem to work better than 4 lane with hard shoulder motorways around here, because all that seems to do is move the traffic to the outside 2 lanes (lane 3 becomes the new lane hogger lane).

The smart motorways also keep the traffic within the limits around here, most just don't speed. You would see the odd person ignoring them and speeding through (despite the cameras being really obvious). I always wondered if they knew something I didn't , but it seem they didn't and probably got a ticket.

When there is an accident or a car in the hard shoulder however, it never seems quite as bad as it was because, the variable speed limits keep things moving smoothly.

According to police figures, over 52,000 tickets were issued on 11 smart motorway sections in 2015.

The minimum penalty for speeding is £100, and I think that is the default for under 30mph above the limit.

52,000 tickets = £5.2m in revenue. That is about sufficient to build 1 furlong of new smart motorway.

We have average speed cameras which certainly seem to slow drivers however many are still caught. My gripe is not with these but the private parking and enforcement sector which with few exceptions has gotten out of control.

Does anyone know what the poles, spaced about 1kms, with the white boxes on the top angled down to the carriageway are? These are a new addition to the motorway system and I assume are replacing the traffic monitoring loops buried in the road surface?

Alan

Back