Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Snowdon

The Lakes are an hour further away than Snowdonia.

It’s not about numbers of hills bagged, it’s about having fun and challenge.

I’m determined that we’ll have a night out on Dartmoor next year - I’ve got them child size backpacks for their Christmas presents.
Loads of great bumps in Brecon Beacon and around pen y fan (park at neuadd reservoir). The horse shoe loop is great and if they get tired it’s easy to cut off fan y big or crybin.
There’s an old ww2 Canadian plane crash site worth a look, and loads of quiet lesser known bumps.
E512F33A-B5CD-4AC8-8106-32751C37CEEF.jpegC1E9C46F-A168-492B-A7E9-8960212FFA9A.jpeg

The OS app is great to use for walks anywhere, worth getting even the free version.
I use the Wikiloc app on my iphone. Free downloadable maps for using GPS when offline. Premium version is about 9 euros a year.

Check out this trail on Wikiloc! https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/bidean-nam-bian-89873822 (Bidean nam Bian)

Last edited:
At 6 and 7, they both did incredibly well.

I’m mostly delighted that I can take the boys away on my own for walking weekends.

Clare is delighted for slightly different reasons.

The Scottish Munros now beckon. I don’t know when, but I expect Schiehallion will be our first Munro together.

I also hope to do some overnight backpacking on Dartmoor before too long.
Hi Tom

managed to check out schiehallion today, great views.
I would say your kids would smash this out very easy if you are thinking of doing it in summer. Nowhere near as challenging as snowdon, unless you go up with the snow/ice.270CC3C5-06D8-4650-8FAE-4ABDBEEA885A.jpeg19DCB48F-508F-47BC-B9CF-666F5CA07707.jpegEB754B1D-B9EA-4C33-A766-C764EC07BB11.jpeg8CD01877-20F9-462E-9B7F-76E1B2123F75.jpeg69CFE445-5257-4C29-863A-2F2E27DBC2E6.jpeg

If you need any info just shout.
It’s £2 to park at breas of foss only small car park (there’s an overflow one 5/10mins walk up the road (free I think).
Its around 7.5miles up and down, they say allow 4-6hrs but it’s very easy.

If you need any info just shout.
It’s £2 to park at breas of foss only small car park (there’s an overflow one 5/10mins walk up the road (free I think).
Its around 7.5miles up and down, they say allow 4-6hrs but it’s very easy.

I’ve been up Schiehallion before: the day after a friend fell off Ben Lawers trying to find the route down in a complete whiteout. She landed in a snowdrift at the foot of a cliff and survived a 30’ drop unharmed.

I tried taking my parents up Schiehallion Easter 2007. We got to the beginning of the summit ridge when dad realised that he’d left his glasses at our lunch spot, and we all turned back to find them. It would have been their first Munro.

I’ve been up Schiehallion before: the day after a friend fell off Ben Lawers trying to find the route down in a complete whiteout. She landed in a snowdrift at the foot of a cliff and survived a 30’ drop unharmed.

I tried taking my parents up Schiehallion Easter 2007. We got to the beginning of the summit ridge when dad realised that he’d left his glasses at our lunch spot, and we all turned back to find them. It would have been their first Munro.
What ever bump you choose next keep us posted, I think it great they are exploring the mountains :thumb

What ever bump you choose next keep us posted, I think it great they are exploring the mountains :thumb
We had a chat at breakfast today.

Both are itching to climb Ben Nevis, but I told them that the only decent way to go up is via Càrn Mòr Dearg then across the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête to the summit. Before that they need plenty more scrambling experience.

I had been intending to take just Jack with me to Glenridding for the classic Striding/Swirrel Edge Helvellyn horseshoe. But Ben said that was his favourite and he wanted to come too. Jack said he'd prefer it with Ben - so that is that sorted. We might try to climb Scarfell and Scarfell Pike on the same trip, but my memory of that walk is it not being very pleasant.

If that trip is a success, I think we'll return to Snowdonia. The superb Nantlle Ridge and Tryfan are beckoning me.

Scotland can wait.

When I was much younger, my mate lived up that "neck of the wood". While visiting, he suggested we climb Ben Nevis, but not by the conventional route which he said was like a motorway. Instead, we chose a much quieter route which he knew. As I remember, it was quite challenging....

...... when we got to the top there was this other mountain looking down at us.. :headbang

The main tourist route up Ben Nevis is a long, fairly boring trudge with a great view though!

Tryfan is the complete opposite, there are quite a few routes up, but even the most sedate is about half scrambling - lots of hand work climbing up this enormous pile of rocks, and once you're on the rocks it's very hard to determine the route, you just have to keep heading uphill! I would say it would be a challenge in winter, especially with ice and strong winds.

At the top there are two stones called Adam & Eve - if you're brave (or stupid) you can jump from one to the other - entirely at your own risk, its a long way down! IMG-20211206-WA0001.jpg My son (Adam) making the leap.

When I was much younger, my mate lived up that "neck of the wood". While visiting, he suggested we climb Ben Nevis, but not by the conventional route which he said was like a motorway. Instead, we chose a much quieter route which he knew. As I remember, it was quite challenging....

...... when we got to the top there was this other mountain looking down at us.. :headbang
As I’m sure you meant to suggest, if there was a higher mountain above you, you didn’t reach Ben Nevis, which is the highest peak in the UK. 3DC07E89-7CD6-4EEE-A2CF-D19E7DEB79AB.jpeg

Going up the normal path, on two occasions I was elbowed off the path by the mob. When we reached the summit, it was covered in organic waste. Later, at the visitor’s center, a display informed that every year park employees removed 10 containers of waste from the summit, 8 of which were banana peels. The view, however, was breathtaking, especially since we were rewarded with on the average one of the five days a year that the summit is not blocked by fog.

Last edited:
Only been up the once, years ago when I first started mountain hiking.
The main route up is ok, I done it late September (it wasn’t busy).
Gorgeous weather and first hour I was attacked by the midges.
Stunning views at the top though.

Only been up the once, years ago when I first started mountain hiking.
The main route up is ok, I done it late September (it wasn’t busy).
Gorgeous weather and first hour I was attacked by the midges.
Stunning views at the top though.
I've been up three times.

The first was in May 2002 from the Torlundy car park via the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête returning by the Lochan.

1638884740248.jpeg
View of the summit across the arête in clear air.

1638884659969.jpeg
The summit an hour later in the clag.

Both other ascents were winter ascents from the Torlundy car park, but straight up and straight down: February 2004 and February 2008.

We had a chat at breakfast today.

Both are itching to climb Ben Nevis, but I told them that the only decent way to go up is via Càrn Mòr Dearg then across the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête to the summit. Before that they need plenty more scrambling experience.

I had been intending to take just Jack with me to Glenridding for the classic Striding/Swirrel Edge Helvellyn horseshoe. But Ben said that was his favourite and he wanted to come too. Jack said he'd prefer it with Ben - so that is that sorted. We might try to climb Scarfell and Scarfell Pike on the same trip, but my memory of that walk is it not being very pleasant.

If that trip is a success, I think we'll return to Snowdonia. The superb Nantlle Ridge and Tryfan are beckoning me.

Scotland can wait.
Very beautiful pictures. You do it well together.
We were also on Mount Snowdon a few years ago (april 2018), but we took the train upwards (the daughter was 4 years old at the time and my wife was heavily pregnant) who, however, did not drive all the way up due to too much ice and snow and wind at the summit they said.
30222190_1863938516973216_842395373401014272_n.jpg
30226631_1863941820306219_6625867672699535360_n.jpg
30222083_1863936873640047_1003479839824412672_n.jpg
We have also been to Ben Nevis a few times and want to come back there to climb it when the children are a bit older. We certainly will: both Snowdon and Ben Nevis will have a Belgian family as admirers ;)
Greetings
Calibusje

Last edited: