Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So happy I found this forum! Buying a VW Cali this winter.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi and welcome from a fellow Cali owner in Dorset. I am a similar age and have kids and the van works well as an everyday vehicle, day trips, etc, etc, so I am sure you will have a great time with one.

Two thoughts for you...

1. If buying new I would consider a coast as you don't have to worry so much about the expensive hydraulic roof. The heater is a must and is great but double glazing isn't. I can't see it adds much benefit.

2. Financially you would be much better going second hand? You can get a £30k loan for 7 years on very low rates, plus your £10k and if you could squeeze a couple more £k will get you a good T6. Cost of ownership when you come to sell it may work out the best vehicle you have ever owned.
I keep looking at getting a newer one as mine is getting old but it owes me nothing...

I wouldn't consider renting. Lots of competition. Parts for Cali are expensive and elements need treating with care, also sounds a lot of hassle.

Have fun!
I agree with your going second hand advice. If it has to be new then IMO a basic T6-1 Coast with a manual roof is probably a better bet than a more complicated T6-1 Ocean at present especially given the problems being reported with the latter recently. Even better would be a late T6 on which most of the niggles have been resolved.

If the OP can find a good late T6 Beach then it will be even better still as it has a manual roof. The electro/ hydraulic roof can give problems and when they do they can be very expensive to fix.

BTW, I've owned both a SE with double glazing and a Beach without at the same time. Double glazing is only fitted to the cab doors, two rear side windows and the tailgate but not the side windows with sliders in. I agree, it makes absolutely no noticeable difference to either warmth, or sound proofing and IMO is a complete waste of money. It doesn't really improve security either as the weak link would be those sliding windows.

Neilos

Neilos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just had a quick look on the forums and couldnt find a review on the slidepods. I am now thinking getting a 2017/18/19 Beach and fitting a Slidepod kitchen unit so I can remove when not needed. Anyone got one, quoted £2k+ but seems a great idea?
I don’t have a slide pod but like you thought I wanted one. Having now used my van for a year, I’m not sure I still want one. I just can’t get my head around how you’d access the large volume of boot behind the pod when camping. And we use all the boot space. You might be different. I know others on here rate slide pods highly for their service. I spoke to them about a parking heater and they were very helpful and I’ll probably use them if and when I do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I don’t have a slide pod but like you thought I wanted one. Having now used my van for a year, I’m not sure I still want one. I just can’t get my head around how you’d access the large volume of boot behind the pod when camping. And we use all the boot space. You might be different. I know others on here rate slide pods highly for their service. I spoke to them about a parking heater and they were very helpful and I’ll probably use them if and when I do it.

I don't have a slide pod but do have a Calicap pull out tray in our seven seat Beach. This tray stays fully loaded all year round so we can go anywhere at a moments notice. You can easily utilise and access the boot area forward of the tray or Slide pod by tipping the rear bench seat back forward so it is lying flat on the seat base. Access to this area via this method is arguably much easier than accessing the same area via the tail gate. If done via the boot, it would involve pulling everything out prior to burrowing in beneath the Multiflex.

Neilos

Neilos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I don't have a slide pod but do have a Calicap pull out tray in our seven seat Beach. This tray stays fully loaded all year round so we can go anywhere at a moments notice. You can easily utilise and access the boot area forward of the tray or Slide pod by tipping the rear bench seat back forward so it is lying flat on the seat base. Access to this area via this method is arguably much easier than accessing the same area via the tail gate. If done via the boot, it would involve pulling everything out prior to burrowing in beneath the Multiflex.
I do use that method sometimes. Trouble for us is, that that method requires us to remove the kids car seats as the bench can not flip forward without. But, it’s a good way to access that part of the boot when camping and the seats are in the pop up.

VW California Club