Software update cost out of warranty?

Pasper2

Pasper2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi All

So I have established I probably need the latest software update V010108

I am currently on V000108 and am experiencing the random step issue and the frozen battery charge screen on 100%

I have spoken to a VW dealer and they are asking for £115.00 for a diagnostic check before any update, I explained exactly what I needed but still won't budge on committing any pricing. I asked how much the actual software update would cost but would not even give a ball park figure.

This quote was from Vindis VW Vans Northampton.

I have tried Brian Currie Milton Keynes 4 times left a message and nobody has replied so that doesn't bode well.

Anyone know any good dealers or had experience of this, on a side note they said it needed an ECU update which has been suggested by VW which is free.

Cheers in advance

Hi All

I am currently on V000108 and am experiencing the random step issue and the frozen battery charge screen on 100%

I have spoken to a VW dealer and they are asking for £115.00 for a diagnostic check before any update, I explained exactly what I needed but still won't budge on committing any pricing. I asked how much the actual software update would cost but would not even give a ball park figure.

I have tried Brian Currie Milton Keynes 4 times left a message and nobody has replied so that doesn't bode well.

Anyone know any good dealers or had experience of this, on a side note they said it needed an ECU update which has been suggested by VW which is free.

Cheers in advance
I would expect that software updates to be included with servicing price.

Certainly this has happened with my T6 Ocean with VW Birmingham Van Centre.

When is your vehicle due a service?

The control panel firmware update alone may or may not resolve your issues, it may need the J608 special control unit and/or other things updated (e.g. the step). Folks with 010108 still have problems, equally some folks with 000108 have no issues. v010108 has been shipping certainly since mid July 2022 deliveries so its not a particularly recent update albeit the most current one. A diagnostic may be your only solid path to find out exactly what is required.

OK, thanks for the advice, might have to bite the bullet. It was actually serviced in February this year by the non VW dealer I bought it from. It should have been due this June according to schedule but of course they would have zero knowledge of VW updates.

You could try Listers in Coventry, I've been pretty impressed by how they have dealt with a couple of issues I have had (kitchen tap last year and most recently water ingress through rear brake light assembly, all done quickly and efficiently). It is under warranty so a different scenario. It was serviced a few months ago and they didn't update the control panel firmware, I'm on 000108 as I have been since the van was new (April 2022) so its likely not something they touch unless needs be. The update process for the panel is a bit convoluted as it needs removing from the wall and an SD card inserting to copy across the new firmware.

OK, thanks for the advice, might have to bite the bullet. It was actually serviced in February this year by the non VW dealer I bought it from. It should have been due this June according to schedule but of course they would have zero knowledge of VW updates.
You might want to consider buying the VW 2 year All-In package. 2 years servicing, 2 years MOT, 2 years VW warranty and 2 years VW assist.

Yes the servicing costs are more expensive than an independent, but the added benefits included may work for you.

Thanks Alan, did not realise you could do this after warranty expires, I will take a look.

Subsequently ordered the extended warranty and 2 year service plan. The non VW service it was given will be pointless, especially on re-sale.

Last edited:
Yes after 3 year warranty has expired and before the vehicle is 6 years old.

They used to insist on a vehicle inspection, but I understand this is no longer a pre-requisite.
Useful to know. I just put my GC680 details in for an extended warranty quote. All in was £1600 for 1 year. It already has a service plan with 2 more services included.

Useful to know. I just put my GC680 details in for an extended warranty quote. All in was £1600 for 1 year.
Thats wrong, All In is £888.00 for two years & gives you:

Over 24 months you will receive:
2 services (including one Oil and Inspection service and one Oil and Inspection Service with Supplementary Scope)
Additional Service Items (Spark plugs/diesel fuel filter & Air Filter)
2 MOTs
Up to 2 years' Warranty
2 years' Roadside Assistance

Thats wrong, All In is £888.00 for two years & gives you:

Over 24 months you will receive:
2 services (including one Oil and Inspection service and one Oil and Inspection Service with Supplementary Scope)
Additional Service Items (Spark plugs/diesel fuel filter & Air Filter)
2 MOTs
Up to 2 years' Warranty
2 years' Roadside Assistance
Yes I was surprised with that 1 year extended warranty price.

I suggest that you give your dealer a call and specifically ask for the All-In deal.

It is also worth remembering that VW have tended to offer a deal on the All-In around xmas time. Typically the price is 20% discounted then.

I’m guessing it may be to do with me still having a service plan with 2 services left. It doesn’t sound like it would make much sense for me.

Hi All

Cheers in advance
How can you check your software revision please

Back