Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar MPPT regulator and Cali central console battery readings

BEN TAYLOR

BEN TAYLOR

Vehicle
Just browsing
I've just had a solar panel and new batteries installed on my 2012 SE.
They haven't done a bad job but I'm disappointed by a few items that I would like your feedback on.
1. In the Cali battery status LCD above the windscreen it shows the "charging" symbol (flashing between the European plug symbol in the bottom right and the 'G' in a circle) regardless of whether the solar panels are switched to leisure batteries, switched to starter battery, isolated, or being bypassed and charged by the cable. There is no longer a battery symbol in the bottom right. And no longer a solid plug symbol when the 220v power cable is attached. Is this normal and if not what are your thoughts?
2. Wiring from the solar panels goes down to the rear leisure battery but to reach the passenger seat battery they have dropped the cable right through the floor, run it along the underside of the van and drilled a hole to bring it back in under the drivers seat. This seems odd to me as there is plenty of space to route cables in the cupboard under the sink etc. How would you normally route this cable?
3. The MPPT regulator, associated panels, exposed wiring take up half a shelf and I'm worried I'll damage cables ramming gear in them. Are they usually this big and any suggestions for protecting cables (see photo).
4. In order to complete the habitation service I was told a gas vent had to be fitted in the floor below the hob. I wouldn't allow this so they took it upon themselves to install a gas detector / smoke alarm powered directly from the 12v leisure battery, fitted onto the vertical panel beneath the hob. This too is very large, is only hung on and drops off as soon as it's knocked. I would say it's not fit for purpose in a small camper. What do you use to alert you if the gas leaks under the hob?

All info gratefully received.

Regards,

Ben.

IMG_8989.JPG

IMG_8990.JPG

#clueless fitting, but I'd never give anyone such free reign to muck about with my van without a proper discussion and understanding beforehand.

I don't know who this outfit are but they obviously know nothing about the California and probably spend their time messing about with Motorhome and Caravans.

There is No Requirement for a Gas Dropout under the Cooker, only in the Sealed Gas Holder which you already have.
There is no need to wire the solar panels to both batteries, only one as they are wired in parallel and the idiots didn't realise this. That is probably the reason you are getting abnormal readings on the Control Unit.

They obviously know nothing about Gas Detectors or Smoke Alarms.

Butane is heavier than air so sinks. If it is a Butane gas detector it should be on the floor, BUT it is probably a Carbon Monoxide detector. Carbon Monoxide is lighter than air so should be in the living compartment at ceiling level or certainly no lower than sleeping level.

Might I ask how much you paid for the Installation and Panels?

Ain't nobody doing such major changes on my Cali without knowing every detail and holes to make up front....
Seems you had a lot off suprises....

There looks to be an awful lot of wires and panels.
My diy setup has four wires, two from the panel and two down to the leisure battery. Plenty of room left for stuff. What is the thing top right, changeover switch?

Don't know how big the panel is but the amount of kit inside looks like a domestic set up. 20Amp fuses also suggest a pretty powerful panel.

I'm not sure how they have wired it in but it shouldn't affect your Cali LCD at all - unless they have tried to integrate it into the Cali charging system - something I know nothing about.

The wires look to be the ones that come with the panels - a massive overkill, not to mention bulky.

The charger is a 20Amp minimum one.I'm assuming you have a big panel installed.

There is no reason to connect to both batteries with a dual battery setup. As said above, they are linked already. That's a very naive thing to do, unless I'm missing something drastic and have been doing it wrong for years!

In fairness they have clearly tried to be neat, with P clips tidying the wires.

Not sure why there is a need for the big isolator switch? I'm guessing that was your requirement? The solar regulator never needs to be turned off, though it can be handy for telling what state your battery is in - as the readings are always a bit misleading whilst the batteries are being charged - but you can just do that by reading them at night, or throwing a towel over the panel.