Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panels and Roof cover questions...

Oggie

Oggie

VIP Member
Not bad, on the 3rd and 4th silly questions already :)

Have any of you fitted the solar panels to charge the leisure battery? Is it any good? Difficult to fit? What size is best?

I'm thinking of taking it to France this winter for a snowboarding trip? Is it worth getting the cover for the pop roof? Where can I get one and how much? Does it make a big difference? How big does it pak down for storage?

Thanks for reading/helping....

Rob

Hello
Apart of technical dilema, there is one more thing you need to consider in France having a permanent solar panel on the roof: the motorway toll :headbang . California is 195cm high, and being above 200cm you enter so called 2nd tariff, about 40% more to pay... The same applies if you have skies, or whatever, on the roof...

Anyone know when the covers will be available?

I saw some solar panels at the NEC recently that stuck on to the room so only added a couple of mm to the height but can't find a website and didn't get their details arghhh

The roof covers are available now try sending. Cali-topper an pm

I have looked into fitting solar panels on my Cali roof. A member here has done it , Pirat http://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1251&p=8822
I remember reading some where that a pv install will invalidate electrical warranty.
There was a website where a bloke fitted panels to the roof of his Cali with full discription, but I can not find it at present.

I decided against fitting whilst under warranty & will probably look again when warranty has expired.

Could probably fit a 120W system for £650 using flexible panel + 3 -5 mm thick. Not cheap.

To my mind, a solar panel to keep the leisure batteries topped up is such an obvious and useful add-on that I'm amazed VW don't offer it as an extra.

Our external roof cover just arrived from Darren Sykes, of "Puccer Screens" - found him on Face Book. We also got a DIY windscreen and window insulation fabric roll - so we are trying it all out for a chilly night in the Lakes this weekend, and the forecast is COLD! Will let you know how it goes.

Back