Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar power lose

tuono001

tuono001

VIP Member
I have a solar panel which has stopped working, I think. I have tested it at the panel, which if I've done it correctly, shows power still being produced. If I've done the right setting on the multimeter it shows between 85 and 90+. It also shows power at the connector end of the cable.
On the control panel it shows nothing from the solar panel at all. I've checked the cables and nothing looks amiss. Trying to avoid having to replace anything, but want it ready for camperjam.
Any help/suggestions welcome.
Thanks

I have a solar panel which has stopped working, I think. I have tested it at the panel, which if I've done it correctly, shows power still being produced. If I've done the right setting on the multimeter it shows between 85 and 90+. It also shows power at the connector end of the cable.
On the control panel it shows nothing from the solar panel at all. I've checked the cables and nothing looks amiss. Trying to avoid having to replace anything, but want it ready for camperjam.
Thanks
What MPPT do you have?
Not sure what you’re measuring as 85 and 90 on a multimeter? What setting do you have it on?

Thanks
1. Which vehicle have you got?
2. Your MPPT controller has it got a screen? If so post a photo. If not and you use an app post a screen shot.
3. The red solar lead onto the rear battery is it connected above or below the Cube fuse on the battery positive?
4. Normally there is an in-line fuse on the red solar lead from the MPPT controller. Is that OK?

So it's an old setup, taken from previous se and now on a beach, this is the mppt.
The original panel died a couple of years ago and I bought a replacement. This was still working when I checked a few weeks ago.

IMG_20240622_212525.jpg

So it's an old setup, taken from previous se and now on a beach, this is the mppt.
The original panel died a couple of years ago and I bought a replacement. This was still working when I checked a few weeks ago.

View attachment 125104
Can't see the numbers but the battery icon seems to indicate its full.

The battery is full as I plugged it to mains to get charge to it.
It's an old mppt but does seem to be operating. There is nothing showing on the screen to show the panel is connected like it normally does. Wires checked and external cable checked no damage.

View attachment 125104
So which year/model of Beach do you have?
As far as I am aware the T5/6 Beach did not have a Control Panel showing voltage.
If you have a T6.1 Beach with a Control Panel then it monitors the Leisure Battery differently to previous models.

It would help to see a photo of the readings on the MPPT screen and your Control Panel.

It's a t5. As for the panel I meant the screen on the mppt. I'll try to get more photos later today.

Given how simple a Solar Panel is in contruction I'd hazard a guess the issue is elsewhere. I know Roger has had issues with MPPT's failing before, so I'd put my money there.

Other than the panel it is a kit from Roger, though it is probably getting on for 9 years old.

Other than the panel it is a kit from Roger, though it is probably getting on for 9 years old.
Buy an MPPT from Amazon to swap out and try. If it does not work still you can just return the Amazon one.

Back