Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Wiring

JuanVecino2023

JuanVecino2023

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Am I being belts & braces using 16mm cable to run between a Victron MPTT & my leisure battery? And should I put a fuse in the +ve cable?

Am I being belts & braces using 16mm cable to run between a Victron MPTT & my leisure battery? And should I put a fuse in the +ve cable?
That is definitely OTT. The cable, if you have 1 panel is carrying no more current than the wiring to your 12 v sockets which are fused at 15/20 amps and the sockets rated for 20 amps.
Under absolute ideal conditions and 100% efficiency the MPPT will be pushing out no more than 10 amps.
And yes, fuse at 10/15amps for 1 panel.

That's good for about 110A / 1400W of panels...

I suspect your mppt won't have large enough terminals to accommodate.
It’s interesting. This was my suspicion. However, looking at various wiring diagrams, with MPPT 100/30 as the solar controller., 16mm cable is suggested.

IMG_3094.png

That is definitely OTT. The cable, if you have 1 panel is carrying no more current than the wiring to your 12 v sockets which are fused at 15/20 amps and the sockets rated for 20 amps.
Under absolute ideal conditions and 100% efficiency the MPPT will be pushing out no more than 10 amps.
And yes, fuse at 10/15amps for 1 panel.
I have 360W of solar. I would have thought 6mm sufficient.

Just lost by the suggestions on Victron kits. See previous

I had a look at the Victron 100/30 spec sheet and according to that the terminals can accommodate 6 AWG / 16mm wire max. Personally I'd use something more manageable but you can't go wrong by going large I guess.

Edit:

Interesting to note that the 3rd battery in an ocean/coast, originally fused at 75A I think, is wired with 16mm cable according to my diagram.

Last edited:
The size maybe to minimise the voltage drop and not just for the current capacity.

The size maybe to minimise the voltage drop and not just for the current capacity.
I would agree - a bit of both. 6AWG is definitely a sledgehammer to crack a walnut. With a 1.5m - 2m of cable max to the rear leisure battery, 10 AWG would probably be enough. 8AWG if you felt keen.

This is kind of useful.

IMG_0008.jpeg

Back