Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Space mate sliding boot drawer.

Just bought one of Simon’s Space Mate trays.

I contacted him first as the space mate does not natively accommodate Lafuma chairs, non negotiable! He immediately set to work thinking how he could engineer the sh*t out of the problem by changing the shape of the tray for me.

Hammer to crack a nut really but evidence of how helpful he is.

The tray is ridiculously easy to install, almost disappointingly so. Very easy to use. Thank you.

I went for the plywood partitions in the end over plastic crates. As part of the design I built a shelf for the Lafuma chairs to slide into the recess as before. An ancillary benefit is that the wedges fit in beneath the tray.

View attachment 108684View attachment 108685
V helpful as we have those chairs aswell.

V helpful as we have those chairs aswell.
I think I have mine because of your recommendation!

I wanted the tray as high as possible to create space in the tray. Consequently three things happened:

1) The tray angles downwards, high at the front, to create a clearance from the underside of the seat mech.
2) It was easier to remove chair covers to prevent snagging than anything else. Not a huge problem as they fall off anyways in between setting up at each stop.
3) The black nylon straps that keep them folded was too generous so I took an inch off them on the sewing machine, easy to undo. This makes them more compact for storage

I wanted the tray as high as possible to create space in the tray. Consequently three things happened:

1) The tray angles downwards, high at the front, to create a clearance from the underside of the seat mech.
2) It was easier to remove chair covers to prevent snagging than anything else. Not a huge problem as they fall off anyways in between setting up at each stop.
3) The black nylon straps that keep them folded was too generous so I took an inch off them on the sewing machine, easy to undo. This makes them more compact for storage
I actually usually put our two chairs on the floor by the handbrake but I might give this a try.
Maybe attach a tube to my boxes.
0EA9375D-10A0-4575-AF0B-C86F88D96B40.jpeg

Just bought one of Simon’s Space Mate trays.

I contacted him first as the space mate does not natively accommodate Lafuma chairs, non negotiable! He immediately set to work thinking how he could engineer the sh*t out of the problem by changing the shape of the tray for me.

Hammer to crack a nut really but evidence of how helpful he is.

The tray is ridiculously easy to install, almost disappointingly so. Very easy to use. Thank you.

I went for the plywood partitions in the end over plastic crates. As part of the design I built a shelf for the Lafuma chairs to slide into the recess as before. An ancillary benefit is that the wedges fit in beneath the tray.

View attachment 108684View attachment 108685
I agree with Simon being very helpful. I am interested to know if the shelf you built on the left, lines up with the gap in the bench if you remove the small cover next to the drawer? I have a couple of poles that I would like to slide through.

I agree with Simon being very helpful. I am interested to know if the shelf you built on the left, lines up with the gap in the bench if you remove the small cover next to the drawer? I have a couple of poles that I would like to slide through.
Yes it does. It’s1.2m long. The space mate is 700 internally

Which Lafuma chairs do you have?

Our Maxi Transat chairs fit perfectly in the back of a Beach, but would not fit in the Ocean.
Thanks

Which Lafuma chairs do you have?

Our Maxi Transat chairs fit perfectly in the back of a Beach, but would not fit in the Ocean.
Thanks
We have these Design Pop Up
IMG_0371.jpeg

Do they fit on the rear shelf or are they too long?
They’re quite long. Fit diagonally. Very comfortable. Like a cross between a chair and a hammock!

Do they fit on the rear shelf or are they too long?
If you scroll back to post #25 you will see that I adapted the tray to fit them vertically.

Just adding to the positive reviews of the SpaceMate. It might seem expensive but it’s the best £500 I’ve spent lately. If you’re hesitant just go for it, I doubt very much that you’ll regret it. So much easier to access items. Simon is a very kind and genuine guy. I collected from his house last Saturday and he fitted it for me.

Would concur with others, a large financial outlay, but well worth every penny, build quality is excellent and everything becomes accessible when you slide the draw out and no having to put stuff on the ground to get at the items at the back. The draw is a mm perfect fit no wasted space. I had mine delivered and it was very well packaged and was received in three days from ordering. Would recommend two person fitting due to size and weight. This has to be the best purchase I’ve made for my Cali

This drawer is by far the best product in its category. It is intelligently designed and superbly crafted. I am extremely satisfied with this purchase. Sure, it may not be the cheapest, but it is well worth its price in terms of both manufacturing quality and performance. It glides perfectly on its rails. The one-handed opening/closing system is flawless, and the sound it makes when locking demonstrates the attention to detail in the overall design. I can only recommend the SpaceMate™. It completely transforms the use of storage space.IMG_1915.jpegIMG_1902.jpegIMG_1899.jpeg

Simon from Space Mate's customer service is second to none..I had a minor issue from an earlier purchase and wishing for my experience to be a good one with the product and the company he turned up today at my house with a total new replacement, which works perfectly...you cant say better than that...really nice guy and Over a brew we compared Cali's as he came in his and compared Gadgets...my neighbour thought there was a campervan convention going on! :) One thing that will soon be on his online website is a few accessories that fit onto the space mate whilst extended to turn it into a kitchen / BBQ area and sink run from the shower attachment..very nifty and possibly located in all the 'dead' space under the tray for storing it. Simon is also thinking of alternatively creating a 'safe' area to store laptops etc under the tray that is accessible when pulled out....Simon is a cross between Alan Sugar & the mad scientist! , nice guy who will give you the time of day, want you to be happy and will ensure that happens...I totally recommend the Spacemate and Simon...he said since he started in Feb he's sold 600 trays and even a couple of VW dealers near his home address now have them on display in vans in their show room which you can Buy direct from the dealer...if it wasn't good they wouldn't want to associate themselves..so that speaks volumes. If deliberating, just do it as you wont be disappointed.

May I ask what your minor issue was please? I to have just purchased the spacemate drawer and have a few queries / concerns with certain aspects of its operation after continued use over the last weekend, whilst we was away.
Thanks

May I ask what your minor issue was please? I to have just purchased the spacemate drawer and have a few queries / concerns with certain aspects of its operation after continued use over the last weekend, whilst we was away.
Thanks
Of course...I bought from Simon quite a while ago and my draw although caused me no issues practically and I've been using it since the get go when I ordered end of Feb/Early March, but from the very start the tray was slightly scraping on the fixed frame causing a line of paint to come off you could see from the underside showing bare metal which was a shame. From the very start he said he would rectify but in a way I was astounded by...he went ahead and designed out the issue and all subsequent trays made were improved. Drop Simon an email and I know he will sort anything out for you whether it is similar or something else . He really does want you to be satisfied and do what he can to achieve this.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I have been experiencing a similar issue, the base of the tray seems to curve when weight is added, looking underneath you can see the base of the drawer is almost touching the frame when sliding it in and out. I had hardly any weight in the drawer. My concern is with more weight, the base of the drawer will contact the frame and take off the paint.

I have just messaged Simon and will see what comes of this. I presume yours is version 2.
I will update this thread when I have more info.

Regards

Thanks for that, I have been experiencing a similar issue, the base of the tray seems to curve when weight is added, looking underneath you can see the base of the drawer is almost touching the frame when sliding it in and out. I had hardly any weight in the drawer. My concern is with more weight, the base of the drawer will contact the frame and take off the paint.

I have just messaged Simon and will see what comes of this. I presume yours is version 2.
I will update this thread when I have more info.

Regards
Yes V2...I think what you have is quite normal , there is some flex even in the one he replaced today, but doesn't scrape. I would load it a bit and see what happens and you will know. I do know that he designed the thing to take 100KG of tools to carry around in the van for his other main business this is only a side line...so if it can take that ..its going to take some kit for a weekend campervanning...but Im sure Simon will review for you.
I would suspect if you have purchased recently its an updated one anyway with an extra 1mm of clearance..remember mine was an early V2.

Thanks for your reply, will discuss with Simon, the flex is a concern when the drawer base runs so close to the front of the frame with minimal clearance. I am guessing the drawer will be deflected slightly when fully closed and no support in the centre. I wouldn't want to load anything like 100kg without some kind of lateral support in the tray.
The VW drawer under bench seat has a roller in the middle towards the front, therefore when you slide out the drawer, the roller glides on the floor supporting the weight. When you compare the size of both drawers, VW must of thought there was a need.
Regards

Thanks for your reply, will discuss with Simon, the flex is a concern when the drawer base runs so close to the front of the frame with minimal clearance. I am guessing the drawer will be deflected slightly when fully closed and no support in the centre. I wouldn't want to load anything like 100kg without some kind of lateral support in the tray.
The VW drawer under bench seat has a roller in the middle towards the front, therefore when you slide out the drawer, the roller glides on the floor supporting the weight. When you compare the size of both drawers, VW must of thought there was a need.
Regards
I think you will find the steel lazer cut frame is much thicker than the VW draw with only minimal welds which provides its strength. Im sure Simon will provide reassurance or sort for you if there is a defect..I am aware there was a lot of research and engineering ploughed into this product. He may talk you through the necessary location of nylon fixed gliders to maintain the draw 'stature' & providing support when the draw glides out. perhaps thats an area of exploration? Anyway, Good luck and update the thread when you have a response.

Simon from Space Mate's customer service is second to none..I had a minor issue from an earlier purchase and wishing for my experience to be a good one with the product and the company he turned up today at my house with a total new replacement, which works perfectly...you cant say better than that...really nice guy and Over a brew we compared Cali's as he came in his and compared Gadgets...my neighbour thought there was a campervan convention going on! :) One thing that will soon be on his online website is a few accessories that fit onto the space mate whilst extended to turn it into a kitchen / BBQ area and sink run from the shower attachment..very nifty and possibly located in all the 'dead' space under the tray for storing it. Simon is also thinking of alternatively creating a 'safe' area to store laptops etc under the tray that is accessible when pulled out....Simon is a cross between Alan Sugar & the mad scientist! , nice guy who will give you the time of day, want you to be happy and will ensure that happens...I totally recommend the Spacemate and Simon...he said since he started in Feb he's sold 600 trays and even a couple of VW dealers near his home address now have them on display in vans in their show room which you can Buy direct from the dealer...if it wasn't good they wouldn't want to associate themselves..so that speaks volumes. If deliberating, just do it as you wont be disappointed.
From memory SMG had one fitted in a showroom van when I.collect my van at the end of last year.

Notice Space Mate is now version 2.2 anybody know what the latest upgrades are from version 2.

Notice Space Mate is now version 2.2 anybody know what the latest upgrades are from version 2.
As far as I can see it’s sides are a little lower, it uses rubber rollers now and has some side hooks for a net. None of which are an upgrade (or needed) for us so no issues.

I don't get it does the name space mate mean it takes space away.

Back