Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spain in April

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We are booked on a ferry to Bilbao for half term in April, I just wondered if anyone knows if the campsites Are open in April, any advice or suggestions would be fantastic

It depends on the campsite, there is no official regulation. Most of them are open by Easter Week.

I would suggest you join ACSI. CC. We have been with them for 6 years. Mainly for off season discounts but saying that they give fantastic information on all their campsites and there’s quite a few in Spain. It’s about €18 a year. You get books and an app to put on your phone or ipad.

I don't know when UK half term is, but some sites we use don't open until easter week, especially the smaller ones off the beaten track. Down on the Med side I imagine everything is open though.

Last easter there were travel restrictions in force, you could only travel within your local province - consequently sites were either full or didn't bother opening. Hoping this year will be free of all that.

If you don't want/need the ASCI discount card you can download the app for free and then pay for the poi campsite data you need, about £2.99 / country or group of countries.
In Scandinavia most campsites are open from 1st May but not all facilities are available. Southern Europe tends to open earlier with the same caveat. The ASCI has details of opening times and facilities available.

I am in the Valencia region have have observed that the campsites are open but looking very full. Friends have been on sites all winter. Some sites are motorhome only which I assume include campervans but to me often look like carparks with little space between them.

However Spain is as welcoming as normal and am sure you will have a good time.

Last edited:
Thanks so much, no idea why I said half term, we are booked for the Easter holidays From the 10th April onwards. How are the Spanish about wild camping if we can’t find anywhere for a night or two ?

Thanks so much, no idea why I said half term, we are booked for the Easter holidays From the 10th April onwards. How are the Spanish about wild camping if we can’t find anywhere for a night or two ?
Afraid not. Wild camping is illegal in Spain but their are loads of campsites and Aires if you do a little research before you go. Join ACSI it’s well worth the money.

I have just opened goggle maps on my PC . Just choose an area and search campsites. Example below.

1647769135592.png

Afraid not. Wild camping is illegal in Spain but their are loads of campsites and Aires if you do a little research before you go. Join ACSI it’s well worth the money.
Not exactly. Wild camping is forbidden, understanding by wild camping exceeding the vehicle perimeter for example with chairs, tables, awnings, opening windows… Just sleeping inside even with the roof up, always you don’t exceed the perimeter is called “pernoctar” and is allowed everywhere you can park the vehicle.

This is what the law says but in some places, usually close to campsites, and even depending on the policeman opinion, people is also fined “pernoctando”.

Not exactly. Wild camping is forbidden, understanding by wild camping exceeding the vehicle perimeter for example with chairs, tables, awnings, opening windows… Just sleeping inside even with the roof up, always you don’t exceed the perimeter is called “pernoctar” and is allowed everywhere you can park the vehicle.

This is what the law says but in some places, usually close to campsites, and even depending on the policeman opinion, people is also fined “pernoctando”.
But I’m just going on what the law states. Obviously there are some really out of the way places where you wouldn’t be found in a month.
If you think the risk is worth it then do it but there Are plenty of places to “Camp” legally and for free if some research is done.
We always stay in a place called Cabarceno. It’s about 10 miles or so from Santander. There’s a lake and right next to the wildlife nature park. The Elephants come right up to the fence you can almost touch them. Families come there to have BBQs on Sundays and right next to a lovely village with restaurants and some shops.

And all for free.

What @scabrero says is correct - in Spain & France & there is huge distinction made between Camping and Sleeping overnight.

Keep everything inside the van, no awnings BBQs etc & its just sleeping overnight & legal in a majority of places.

The minute you get your chairs out, roll out the awning etc you are camping & that generally isn't allowed.

Thanks for all the great advice

Camping app Archies has nit been updated for 2 yrs and has poor reviews. Download Park4night - great up to date app and web site.

We have used it all over EU, UK and Ireland.

Camping app Archies has nit been updated for 2 yrs and has poor reviews. Download Park4night - great up to date app and web site.

We have used it all over EU, UK and Ireland.
Archies was last updated 1/3/2022

Screenshot 2022-03-21 at 13.24.40.jpg

Still a waste of time the app has not been updated that's what I meant as looks old and dated. Used it when it first came out, but there are better out there now.

There are many places you can stay 'wild" we were in Spain for 6 weeks and used Search for Sites for some of our overnight stops. At one stop on our way North through Spain we found a great little spot, a local police car was nearby and we asked if it was ok to stay there the night, they said it was ok as long as we put no awnings or tables / chairs out.

search for sites also gives very good descriptions with photos of the aires, we found that very useful as we prefer quiet spots.

What @scabrero says is correct - in Spain & France & there is huge distinction made between Camping and Sleeping overnight.

Keep everything inside the van, no awnings BBQs etc & its just sleeping overnight & legal in a majority of places.

The minute you get your chairs out, roll out the awning etc you are camping & that generally isn't allowed.
This is correct as per Ministry of Transport instruction 08 V-74 - if you search on here I believe someone translated it into English recently. The letter of the law is that you can sleep in a vehicle* providing nothing protrudes from the perimeter - awnings etc. In a motorhome, even having a swinging window open or the step out could land you a ticket.

I have never had a problem, arrive late, leave early etc.

*National parks have their own laws. Also, like in France there are "aparcamientos autocaravanas" in virtually every town and city worth visiting. They're not always in the most glamourous place, ours is tucked away behind the Uni, but they have toilet and emptying facilities.

We always stay in a place called Cabarceno. It’s about 10 miles or so from Santander. There’s a lake and right next to the wildlife nature park. The Elephants come right up to the fence you can almost touch them. Families come there to have BBQs on Sundays and right next to a lovely village with restaurants and some shops.

And all for free.
If that's the one I'm thinking of, it's private land.

We are booked on a ferry to Bilbao for half term in April, I just wondered if anyone knows if the campsites Are open in April, any advice or suggestions would be fantastic
You will need one of those warning boards of you have a bike rack.

If that's the one I'm thinking of, it's private land.
We stayed there on our return in December, it got very busy with Spanish just having a break and Ferry travellers, I'd certainly use it again.

Bars and restaurants within walking distance.

Still a waste of time the app has not been updated that's what I meant as looks old and dated. Used it when it first came out, but there are better out there now.
The fact that the App is not all flashy doesn’t mean it’s no good. Just means it works so why change it. It’s worked through many OS upgrades and never let me down yet.
Another big plus, it’s too simple for the Motorhome brigade.

Back