Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spanish eSim

The Tall Luthier

The Tall Luthier

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We are in the habit of buying eSims for our iPhones whenever we travel abroad.

We are off to Spain and have only found one solution. By a sim from Vodafone and then visit the shop in Santander to convert it to eSim. A bit of a faff!

Does anyone have knowledge of any other providers that operate online only please?

We are in the habit of buying eSims for our iPhones whenever we travel abroad.

We are off to Spain and have only found one solution. By a sim from Vodafone and then visit the shop in Santander to convert it to eSim. A bit of a faff!

Does anyone have knowledge of any other providers that operate online only please?
I am curious as to how this can work as far as I know from a quote I found " An eSIM (embedded-SIM) is a form of SIM card that is embedded directly into a device." So how can you buy a sim which is a physical separate item. I do not know about iphones but I do find this interesting as I used to be involved in 3G research and development so I keep interested. However you may find buying a cheap phone with a SIM in Spain as solution.

This site maybe useful Orange in english.

I am curious as to how this can work as far as I know from a quote I found " An eSIM (embedded-SIM) is a form of SIM card that is embedded directly into a device." So how can you buy a sim which is a physical separate item. I do not know about iphones but I do find this interesting as I used to be involved in 3G research and development so I keep interested. However you may find buying a cheap phone with a SIM in Spain as solution.

This site maybe useful Orange in english.
The practicalities are simple and it only works on certain phones, including an iPhone 12. You buy into a mobil service, usually online, and they send you a QR code. You scan the code and hey presto, all done. When you go into your phone settings you find listed two SIMs, one from the domestic, the other from the host country.

It's also a little bit clever as you get to decide which each does, for me phone calls are all set to domestic, whilst data is set to host country. Unless I have to make a local phone call, then I switch.

Thanks for the link. unfortunately it is really expensive and doesn't last long enough for our 40 day visit. I am better off buying a French eSIM at those rates I think.

The practicalities are simple and it only works on certain phones, including an iPhone 12. You buy into a mobil service, usually online, and they send you a QR code. You scan the code and hey presto, all done. When you go into your phone settings you find listed two SIMs, one from the domestic, the other from the host country.

It's also a little bit clever as you get to decide which each does, for me phone calls are all set to domestic, whilst data is set to host country. Unless I have to make a local phone call, then I switch.
That is great thanks. Keeps my brain active by keeping up to date on latest tech. I have an Android duel SIM phone and do a similar thing although they are physical SIMs. I have a UK SIM and a Spanish SIM and I can set which I want to use for which type of service while receiving incoming calls and messages on both. My Spanish SIM has more data allowance than my UK one so I use it a lot in the UK on roaming. Very useful in areas where some network coverage is better than others as when roaming it will connect to any available network. It is also 5G while my UK one is only 4G. Whats app seems to be very popular in Spain as it uses data rather than the mobile SMS messages which cost and there is a call set up charge on some mobile agreements. 5G seems good in Spain but not so good inside some bars so I have to convince my SIM to use 4G then.

Once again thanks for the information, I may get an iPhone one day and I was not aware before that there is a 2 SIM possibility.

Back