Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel carrier solution for big wheel junkies (like me)

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Not sure if any of you have seen this offering from Tuning Bus but it’s a spare wheel carrier for 18” spare wheels with off-road tyres:

https://www.tuning-bus.shop/p/mont...rsatzradhalter-in-der-reserveradmulde-4motion

Looks like quite a bit of tinkering to fit and says it’s for 4Mo only.
Thought I’d throw it out there just in case.

Looks like they’re also prototyping a spacer to give more sliding door clearance past the rear tyres for non standard (wider) rears.

I realise this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I just can’t help myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I personally wouldn't want to decrease my ground clearance with that under the rear of the van.

Found this on a campsite in Sweden on a German registered vehicle. Any idea on brand etc? Seems interesting. There was no label etc that I could see and the van had left by the time we returned to the campsite.

PXL_20210926_104733137.jpg

Found this on a campsite in Sweden on a German registered vehicle. Any idea on brand etc? Seems interesting. There was no label etc that I could see and the van had left by the time we returned to the campsite.

View attachment 101810
That's an MFT BackCarrier base module with a custom top piece for the tire.

Probably using this as the mount:

Has anyone ever considered adapting it to a bike rack?
A spare wheel is lighter than 2 electric MTBs.

No, I'm talking about a rack mounted on the tow ball, like the Atera Strada for example.
Ah! OK. No, have not heard about one as yet ... but thinking about it. It actually could work with some minor adaptations.

The MFT system linked above (post #6) seems to have replaceable parts so that you can attach a box or a cycle rack or a tyre rack to the towball mount. That is the closest I have seen to a towball mounted system.

Has anyone ever considered adapting it to a bike rack?
A spare wheel is lighter than 2 electric MTBs.
Where’s the bikes going to go ?

€900 to carry a spare o_O o_O
That's much cheaper than the 1000's it costs for the full Hess or Terranger setup. And you can remove the spare and use it to carry other things like a water canister, etc. But hey, if it isn't for you it isn't for you! If you are serious about going offroad and have big wheels like BFG KO2's in 18 inch then it makes sense.

That's much cheaper than the 1000's it costs for the full Hess or Terranger setup. And you can remove the spare and use it to carry other things like a water canister, etc. But hey, if it isn't for you it isn't for you! If you are serious about going offroad and have big wheels like BFG KO2's in 18 inch then it makes sense.
Nope, Hess carrier and rear wheel bracket and Peli bracket is around €1000
I don’t get why you’d want to remove the spare wheel. A tank of water isnt hoing to get you out of the outback, when you have a flat.
I’d rather have a spare wheel and a tank of water.

Nope, Hess carrier and rear wheel bracket and Peli bracket is around €1000
I don’t get why you’d want to remove the spare wheel. A tank of water isnt hoing to get you out of the outback, when you have a flat.
I’d rather have a spare wheel and a tank of water.

Please post the prices from the Hess shop. I live 5km from them and assure you it’s more than that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course it’s expensive in Switzerland !
Look here for the prices yourself, https://vwt5-t6upgrades.co.uk/product-category/accessories/?v=79cba1185463

I’ll check it later, but I highly doubt that the rack, fittings and mounts required are less than that price in general, and especially less at a reseller compared to the Hess location itself where they manufacture them. Anyway, no sense in debate. I was trying to offer a solution to the OP to consider instead of under the van and losing ground clearance.

My original feeling for the best outcome to carry spare wheel and a Peli case / or water carrier and a bike rack would be
Bikes on towbar.
Spare wheel and Peli on tailgate rack mount with upgraded hatch struts.
What you want maybe something completely different and that’s okay.
But don’t be like a pig in a poke

I’ll check it later, but I highly doubt that the rack, fittings and mounts required are less than that price in general, and especially less at a reseller compared to the Hess location itself where they manufacture them. Anyway, no sense in debate. I was trying to offer a solution to the OP to consider instead of under the van and losing ground clearance.

I agree with ground clearance.
VB air would help with that for sure.
It’s good you are offering alternative’s to the OP
:cheers

I also have the same issue with Lazer lamps.
Manufacturer will not give discount.
Yet supplier 150 miles away can give me 10% discount ! How’s that work :rolleyes:

Not as posh as hess, but this is my one, could fit wheel carrier to it easy.
I normally go for 17” and just let a little air out of BFG tyre and it fits in cradle D1ED9314-732D-4EAA-8EE5-F82577D725FA.png

Back