Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel locking device

california kid

california kid

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all, Can any one oblige with the following info, I have the locking wheel bolt already fitted to our California's under slung wheel carrier,my question is will this fit the locking wheel device, is there enough clearance to attach a socket to the bolt key, or do I need to purchase the combined set. As discussed on the forum better make it as difficult as possible to stop the theft of our spare wheel, as I do not want to carry it in the back of our California.

If you have the vw locking bolt it will fit with the sparesafe

Cheers Calikev, I will now order a sparesafe without the locking bolt, makes it a bit cheaper, thank you for your reply.

I bought the complete set, so there are 2 locking bolts on the carrier, each different with their own security socket.

Hi Weslhgas, wish I thought of that , never entered my head, duh , just ordered sparesafe 5 mins ago, thanks for your reply.

Doubt if it would make much difference in the greater scheme of things. I shouldn't worry.
Just like making things difficult for the slap heads that try it on. Friend had his nice new, shiny Land Rover Defender wheel stolen off the back of his Defender. Those are heavy with a new All Terrain tyre on.
The idiot who tried it on was lying on the ground behind the Defender, crying, as he didn't realise how heavy it was and it had fallen and broken his ankle. He helped him onto the pavement. Re-Fitted the wheel, and drove off. Poor dab had sat on his phone, so that was smashed as well. I think that is called Rough Justice.

Help please. I'm new to this :)
I have no idea how SPARESAFE works but I want to buy one for our recently purchased California Beach.
At the moment the spare wheel (still there!) is attached with this metallic flat spare wheel bracket thing which it is held by two bolts (Retaining bolt & Securing bolt according to the owner's manual). I do not have any other long bolts in the tool kit or anywhere else ....... do I just buy the sparesafe or sparesafe+bolts?
Thanks a lot

Hi Monica. The spare wheel carrier is held on with 2 bolts 1 you loosen the other comes completely out you then move the carrier to the side and it will drop down. The sparesafe goes where the bolt comes out
You can use your existing bolt but not advisable as it will still be easy to remove if you buy a sparesafe buy the bolt that comes with it as you need a special socket to remove it. The sparesafe acts as a shield so a would be their can't get grips or pliers on the bolt. I hope I haven't over complicated it for you.

Hi Monica. The spare wheel carrier is held on with 2 bolts 1 you loosen the other comes completely out you then move the carrier to the side and it will drop down. The sparesafe goes where the bolt comes out
You can use your existing bolt but not advisable as it will still be easy to remove if you buy a sparesafe buy the bolt that comes with it as you need a special socket to remove it. The sparesafe acts as a shield so a would be their can't get grips or pliers on the bolt. I hope I haven't over complicated it for you.

Got it! Complete set it is then. Thanks

The SpareSafe can use the security bolt, but if you buy the SpareSafe AND security bolt then you can fit it in place of the Retaining bolt. You will then have 2 security bolts holding the spare wheel on.:thumb

Back