Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Length of locking bolt for sparesafe

C

CALROE1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
fitted sparesafe with standard vw locking spare wheel bolt is this long enough or do people fit one as long as normal retaining bolt Thanks.

If the VW one does up then no problem it doesn't have to be longer

Hi,

I got SpareSafe with the 52mm security bolt. The one I screwed out is 90mm long. I fitted the SpareSafe with the delivered short one but now get a little bit nervous, if really ok.

T6 with a 17" 235 steel spare wheel.

What did you do with your ones?

Thanks for any help in advance

Uwe

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

The short one is fine but if you're worried just put the long one back. :thumb

• Agree
Reactions: DM
I bought a security bolt with the Spare Safe from the club shop. Are these a unique pattern or are they all the same?

And (my OCD is kicking in again here) how do you tighten it up without the spare safe rotating? The big red face with the warning sticker ends up visible from the side rather than the rear.

Hi Welsh,

The long one is ayk no security one.

If the short is really ok, fine. If a little risk remains it would be helpful to know if a long version is existing as well.

I understand that the security screw is a VW part but I can't find it on the web.

Thanks

Cheers

Uwe

The short one is fine but if you're worried just put the long one back. :thumb

I bought a security bolt with the Spare Safe from the club shop. Are these a unique pattern or are they all the same?

And (my OCD is kicking in again here) how do you tighten it up without the spare safe rotating? The big red face with the warning sticker ends up visible from the side rather than the rear.
Tighten up and see where the face ends up in relation to where it starts from. Loosen off and turn the face back to where you want it and beyond - clockwise by the same distance and re-tighten . It should then end up in the same position as you want. Repeat process if OCD kicks in until in the correct position that OCD is happy with.;)

Reactions: DM
Hi Welsh,

The long one is ayk no security one.

If the short is really ok, fine. If a little risk remains it would be helpful to know if a long version is existing as well.

I understand that the security screw is a VW part but I can't find it on the web.

Thanks

Cheers

Uwe
The one supplied with the SpareSafe is the long one. The normal bolt on the wheel carrier is just a generic bolt VW use to cover all eventualities .

great, thanks a lot

Is there an advice about the best torque to fit the screw?

Cheers

Uwe

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

There are two lengths of locking wheel nut.

ZGB 701 071 592E - Short
ZGB 701 071 592 - Long

The short one - just about works with my 17" tyres on the steel spare, but only just took a couple of turns to tighten, so I replaced it with the longer one - which is pretty much the same as the long un-secure bolt supplied on the van.
wheelbolt.jpg

The above picture shows the short one and the original un-secure one.

I don't have the sparesafe, so if they are going to get it off with mole grips I want it to be a long bolt so at least they have lots to work to do and they might take the skin the their knuckles!!!

Would be very nice to have the long one in the secured version. I guess the length is also for keep some time if it get loose.

Is there a chance to buy a long one elsewhere?

Cheers

Uwe (this night at Biggesee, Sauerland)

daca1db272fe36994cd765175ffe8105.jpg

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

There are two lengths of locking wheel nut.

ZGB 701 071 592E - Short
ZGB 701 071 592 - Long

The short one - just about works with my 17" tyres on the steel spare, but only just took a couple of turns to tighten, so I replaced it with the longer one - which is pretty much the same as the long un-secure bolt supplied on the van.
View attachment 13296

The above picture shows the short one and the original un-secure one.

I don't have the sparesafe, so if they are going to get it off with mole grips I want it to be a long bolt so at least they have lots to work to do and they might take the skin the their knuckles!!!
The long bolt is not a security bolt - all they need is a wheel brace to get it off. No mole-grips required.

The long bolt is not a security bolt - all they need is a wheel brace to get it off. No mole-grips required.

That is what I say in the post - the picture is of the short secure one and the long unsecure one. I just happened to have it on my phone from when I sent it back to get a longer one....

The part numbers are correct for long and short secure ones. An example of the long secure one is here: http://www.vagnostics-shop.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=552

Thanks, I ordered one there.

Any idea for best torque?

Cheers

Uwe

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Hi,
Can anyone tell me the what size thread and pitch this spare wheel security bolt is?
It is my plan to exchange it for a stainless steel one with loop on the end as used by the sailing guys, let's to choose from on some of these chandler sites..
That along with a security lock or security cable through the loop should do the trick.

Back