Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stand alone solar

Had mine for about a month, seems fine.
You would be best to store it up in the roof bed or wedged down the side of boot as you wouldn’t want anything on top of it or fall on it.
I think it’s a bargain paid £100 for 100w no brainer really.View attachment 93790View attachment 93791
does the smaller one come with the built in pocket for the controller and cables? I just have mine (the bigger version in my video) flat in the back and put stuff on top of it no problem. Nice idea to store under the top bed, but you wouldn't be able to have the controller box and leads in the pocket. These are so versatile, I agree they are no brainer, just a choice of size, but as a reminder to everyone, don't go above 10amps output if you want to use the 12v socket.... the video earlier in the thread explains. Personally the bigger size works for me as I can still fold it into the front window (just) and it gives quite a bit more charge while staying under 10amps.

does the smaller one come with the built in pocket for the controller and cables? I just have mine (the bigger version in my video) flat in the back and put stuff on top of it no problem. Nice idea to store under the top bed, but you wouldn't be able to have the controller box and leads in the pocket. These are so versatile, I agree they are no brainer, just a choice of size, but as a reminder to everyone, don't go above 10amps output if you want to use the 12v socket.... the video earlier in the thread explains. Personally the bigger size works for me as I can still fold it into the front window (just) and it gives quite a bit more charge while staying under 10amps.
I leave my charge controller in place velcro to seat base. Yes the 100w has the pocket don’t have anything in that, I slide mine inbetween lower bed mattress but if I still had a cali would be in roof with pocket empty.
I wouldn’t risk putting stuff on top of panel in boot as there’s no padded protection with case.

Just ordered the Dokio 100W and cable. Curious to see if it helps extending battery life a bit while camping, and during winter!

Looked at the other solution suggested here, but quite a price difference versus Dokio.

Just ordered the Dokio 100W and cable. Curious to see if it helps extending battery life a bit while camping, and during winter!

Looked at the other solution suggested here, but quite a price difference versus Dokio.
I used them yesterday while camped up for a few days, I was getting 8 amps in via the 12v socket (as per my video). Very pleased. I did notice quite a variation with just slight movement of them, so have them at right angles to the sun for maximum power generation. Mine are the 160w.

There is a $30 discount code (G8BH9B2O) to reduce the cost somewhat.

Planning on ordering, but the dokio 100w 12v on amazon is £280 and only has 2 panels??

Planning on ordering, but the dokio 100w 12v on amazon is £280 and only has 2 panels??

There’s a 110w 18v £118. I assume (but don’t know for sure!) that this would be ok as the 160w one being used by @markheathcote is also 18v

DOKIO 110W 18V Portable Foldable Solar Panel Kit (54 * 73cm, 2.7kg) Monocrystalline(HIGH Efficiency) with Controller 2 USB Output to Charge 12V Batteries (All Types: Vented AGM Gel) RV Camper Boat https://amzn.eu/d/f5Iu1zD

Thanks. I thought it had to be 100w and 12v to protect the battery?

Thanks. I thought it had to be 100w and 12v to protect the battery?
Let someone else confirm as I only know what I’ve seen on the forum. The link in the YouTube video was for 160w/18v so making me think 110w/18v would be acceptable.

Edit:
Just looked at the 18v version on Amazon, the controller shows for 12v batteries:
DF80A534-FF87-4FDB-804B-4DB87E763BCC.jpeg
I believe the important part is not exceeding 10 amps

Last edited:
Let someone else confirm as I only know what I’ve seen on the forum. The link in the YouTube video was for 160w/18v so making me think 110w/18v would be acceptable.

Edit:
Just looked at the 18v version on Amazon, the controller shows for 12v batteries:
View attachment 94005
I believe the important part is not exceeding 10 amps
Indeed, that is what I also understood: if you’re charging through a 12v socket instead of directly to the battery, you must be careful not to exceed the 10 amps. It’s mostly the inverter where you need to be careful with how much output it provides.
Note: this method is not approved by VW according to the manual.

Indeed, that is what I also understood: if you’re charging through a 12v socket instead of directly to the battery, you must be careful not to exceed the 10 amps. It’s mostly the inverter where you need to be careful with how much output it provides.
Note: this method is not approved by VW according to the manual.
Let me clarify, the 160w panel I link to on my video generates 18v to the controller, the controller outputs 12v at a max rating of 9.5amps,so a perfect combination for the 12v socket. It is the output of the controller that you need to be concerned about, not the solar panel.
153 quid at the moment https://amzn.to/3NXZHlU
Though you need to go to my video (earlier in this thread) for the link to the 12v cig socket cable from amazon US (a few days delivery) as I don't have the link to hand.

Thanks. I have solar panel and cig. Lighter and have just assembled. not certain what im doing wrong but showing 0.0a to the van eperately the panel charges iPads from the controler and is showing 14.4v in

Grr still getting nothing and I’ve checked everything i can. The instructions for the controller are a bit rubbish

Grr still getting nothing and I’ve checked everything i can. The instructions for the controller are a bit rubbish
Do you get a light glowing on the 12v cable to the cig. lighter? Maybe the build in fuse in the extra cable is defective.
Did you also try another socket (eg in the boot or near the kitchen)?

It worked fine with me last weekend. Provided just enough to compensate for my compressor cooler throughout the day, although we got quite some shadow reducing effectiveness. Note that the VW display always showed lower amperage coming in than the panel controller.

Do you get a light glowing on the 12v cable to the cig. lighter? Maybe the build in fuse in the extra cable is defective.
Did you also try another socket (eg in the boot or near the kitchen)?

It worked fine with me last weekend. Provided just enough to compensate for my compressor cooler throughout the day, although we got quite some shadow reducing effectiveness. Note that the VW display always showed lower amperage coming in than the panel controller.
Yes to light and yes o trying another socket. Hopefully I am getting a man that can to have a look for me.

Yes to light and yes o trying another socket. Hopefully I am getting a man that can to have a look for me.
and your controller box is showing ampage coming in? what happens if you use the crockodile clips straight to the battery under the seat? (I assume you are using the Dokio kit).

and your controller box is showing ampage coming in? what happens if you use the crockodile clips straight to the battery under the seat? (I assume you are using the Dokio kit).
also, some cig sockets don't go to the leisure battery.. use the one hidden down the side of the rear bench seat... some pictures or a video of your setup might help.

Havent tried the crocodile clips yet,because it looked such a faff to get the cover off to the battery. kit the same as video

also, some cig sockets don't go to the leisure battery.. use the one hidden down the side of the rear bench seat... some pictures or a video of your setup might help.
Yep using the point by the door and tried the one by the sink
i am going to have another play this morning

This is what I tried this morning. I got the crocodile clips on and still nothing. I am hoping you will all laugh furiously at a simple error that I have made and help me to rectify immediately. This is the 2nd dokio panel delivered because the fist was damaged in transit and is sat in my hall awaiting the mythical Hermes courier, the idea of having another there and still no refund feels me with dreadCB939F3E-0239-4CA1-8E7D-B83978B1E86C.jpeg74F9034D-4C91-4248-A7FD-B2C6972F3C4D.jpegB14E8A0E-C089-4ACB-9A24-8C58628B77E0.png770AD6D8-D801-4B48-B6C3-FF62F1B9DDFB.pngFF076CFF-716B-4EC0-87AF-6E683529F7EA.png3B76A347-9DFC-4DCF-9104-EDD4FFE6A325.png9D3B4438-32B8-4BD4-A7DF-B3C147017C78.png

This is what I tried this morning. I got the crocodile clips on and still nothing. I am hoping you will all laugh furiously at a simple error that I have made and help me to rectify immediately. This is the 2nd dokio panel delivered because the fist was damaged in transit and is sat in my hall awaiting the mythical Hermes courier, the idea of having another there and still no refund feels me with dreadView attachment 94742View attachment 94743View attachment 94744View attachment 94745View attachment 94746View attachment 94747View attachment 94748
It was the same when I had run the fridge and showed 90%

It was the same when I had run the fridge and showed 90%
So Picture 1 is the Leisure Batteries voltage, without the Solar Panel connected?

Back