Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Steering failure.

Frankyworthy

Frankyworthy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi All,
Returned yesterday from a 4,200 mile trip to Croatia and back via a wedding in Ile d’Oleron, west coast of France. Today steering failed 100 yards from home so using Popeye arms got van home.

I’ve read a few previous threads, such as:

A bit more context. The engine battery went flat twice in the last week after what I regard as not being abused. Does this suggest a faulty alternator not doing its job? Has it gone completely which is why the steering suddenly went?

Grateful for any thoughts.

Hi I’m assuming you have the 2 liter common rail engine if so it’s highly likely that your alternator drive belt has snapped this also drives the power steering pump which is why you have no steering. Looking at your profile you have a 2011 t5 Cali if this is the case has it been into a vw dealer in the last two years? If it’s not then there is a workshop action live on your vehicle for a alternator belt and tensioner replacement and any Consequential damage ie your alternator drive etc. if it has had the workshop action carried out then something else may of happened to cause the drive belt to snap either way I highly advise not driving the vehicle or starting the engine as there is a chance the shredded belt could get behind your cambelt covers and damage your engine.

Thanks Guru,

I’m not sure what this means:
there is a workshop action live on your vehicle for a alternator belt and tensioner replacement

Is it a recall or something? If so it hasn’t happened while we’ve had it (4 years)

We had it with the VW dealer up at Grange last year for a new roof motor fix that’s all.

Thanks Guru,

I’m not sure what this means:
there is a workshop action live on your vehicle for a alternator belt and tensioner replacement

Is it a recall or something? If so it hasn’t happened while we’ve had it (4 years)

We had it with the VW dealer up at Grange last year for a new roof motor fix that’s all.
Humm this workshop action (recall) would have been due on your vehicle if you can then pm me your reg number and chassis number and I will look up the history in the morning

would the red battery symbol (alternator fail) not light up on the dash?

would the red battery symbol (alternator fail) not light up on the dash?

Hi @MartG You would think it would but sometimes it can take 10-15 mins with then engine running for the alternator light to come on and sometimes not at all because the smart charging system can charge anywhere between 12 and 16.5 volts if the battery voltage does not drop below 12volts with the engine running it will not illuminate

Hi @MartG You would think it would but sometimes it can take 10-15 mins with then engine running for the alternator light to come on and sometimes not at all because the smart charging system can charge anywhere between 12 and 16.5 volts if the battery voltage does not drop below 12volts with the engine running it will not illuminate
Hi Both

Just checked and yellow alternator light is now on. I think it’s the alternator - it’s yellow anyway