Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Steering wheel noise - not a squeak as such

P

Pombear4

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We have a 2019 beach which has started making a weird noise when turning the steering wheel at low speed. It's hard to describe the noise as it's not really a squeak, more of a half meow sound a cat would make (only way I can describe the noise!).
Anyone got any ideas? Steering possibly feels a bit heavier than it should, van was only serviced in November.
It is going in for the sliding door lock to be looked at under warranty next week so can ask them to check it out also but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas as I like to have some idea of what it might be as I find the service dept often need pointing in the right direction or they just say its fine!
Thank you!

We have a 2019 beach which has started making a weird noise when turning the steering wheel at low speed. It's hard to describe the noise as it's not really a squeak, more of a half meow sound a cat would make (only way I can describe the noise!).
Anyone got any ideas? Steering possibly feels a bit heavier than it should, van was only serviced in November.
It is going in for the sliding door lock to be looked at under warranty next week so can ask them to check it out also but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas as I like to have some idea of what it might be as I find the service dept often need pointing in the right direction or they just say its fine!
Thank you!
Have you checked the Power Steering fluid level? If low any evidence of fluid leaks?

Have you checked the Power Steering fluid level? If low any evidence of fluid leaks?
This is my next job as seems to be suggested on other forums I've found. Just found another post from someone who seemed to have the same issue and described it like running over a seal. Van has done less than 15,000miles

This is my next job as seems to be suggested on other forums I've found. Just found another post from someone who seemed to have the same issue and described it like running over a seal. Van has done less than 15,000miles
Oil and fluid seals age over time. Repeated use prolongs their life if everything is set up correctly but standing idle for prolonged periods is not good. These are based on commercial vehicles and built for high milage.

Oil and fluid seals age over time. Repeated use prolongs their life if everything is set up correctly but standing idle for prolonged periods is not good. These are based on commercial vehicles and built for high milage.
Its my daily drive which is only shorter journeys. We've had it for 18 months and it had 7000 miles on the clock when we got it, don't think the previous owners used it at all. Might go and get the tracking checked as not been done since 4 new tyres back in the summer and I'll check the steering fluid levels.

Looks like we do need to top up the steering fluid. Anyone know what I need to get. No definitive answer online!

Looks like we do need to top up the steering fluid. Anyone know what I need to get. No definitive answer online!
Handbook?

If all you're doing is topping up, you really want to use factory fluids.
Question is though why the level dropped in the first place. It shouldn't on a vehicle that new. As WG says check for leaks.

Thanks everyone I got fluid from VW dealership. We wouldn’t have expected to top it up either! Still have the issue, if not getting steadily worse as steering clunky also.

Thanks everyone I got fluid from VW dealership. We wouldn’t have expected to top it up either! Still have the issue, if not getting steadily worse as steering clunky also.
There has to be an underlying issue somewhere. The fluid doesn't just disappear. My bet is there is a leak and there is either air or debris in the rack. I would check the rack itself and look for signs of fluid leakage. The drip trays can hold a large volume so you may not see anything on the ground.

Back