Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

very noisy steering...pump? rack?

Nomad

Nomad

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Just driven back mainly motorway 300 miles but when using small roads in last few miles noticed progressive noise whilst using steering 1/2 to full lock at roundabouts and entering driveway. Sounds like a whirring or hydraulic pump noise, a slight vibration felt through steering wheel. Strangely there appeared to be a bit of correlation with depressing the clutch as well......California 2008...78kmiles....Of note there was a 'Slight' wobble at 65-70mph imagined it was a slightly out of balance wheel/tyre. Searched forums will check levels in morning, thinking Pump? Rack? any ideas.

I had something similar on my 2005 Caravelle, slow speed only.
Researched and forums suggested it was the joint at the top of the shock absorbers, where the shocker is bolted to the body - in the cavity at the back of the bonnet. Water and all sorts of crud gets into there.
I removed the access panels, took off the rubber caps, have it a wipe around, then put loads of grease on the are under the cap, put it back together and there was, after a few days, a marked improvement in the grinding noise.

Firstly check the the oil level in the reservoir, noise can be the pump cavitation and this causes a lot of heat build up.

Might be an idea to check the pump drive belt and tensioner. Ours went a few months ago and it seems that the tensioner pulley is a bit prone to failure. No noise or warning with ours but I guess a failing bearing in the pulley would make a similar noise.

UPDATE: for others the symptoms are noise when turning the steering wheel when vehicle is moving. Feedback through to steering wheel. Van stationery moving the steering wheel produces a cavitation like pump working overtime noise and feedback to column.
RESULT: needs new steering rack....not bad for 78,000miles.....i don't think.
Take care out there, thanks for tips.

Back