Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sticking new glass top to insulated fridge lid

Vincent Mercer

Vincent Mercer

VIP Member
I realise there have been previous discussion on this and related topics... but they were a while back and so I'm interested to know has anyone had success with finding a suitable adhesive/silicon sealant to bond the semi porous insulated fridge lid to the tempered glass work top? The replacement glass top has been collected from VW Van centre, (didn't fancy trusting it to couriers) but with no advice/instructions of how to bond the plastic/foam fridge lid to glass. In previous threads people tried silicon sealant, but as the foam is semi porous it seemed to fail on a number of occasions. Some people said two part grey Permalinks Bond adhesive but were not specific, others say don't try epoxy plus! Any successful long term bonding solutions??

I'm in the same situation of having to replace the glass fridge top and the VW parts diagram lists this stuff as the correct adhesive to bond the insulation to the glass

Volkswagen 1-Pack Adhesive D190020M2​

In the end I used Gorilla Double sided clear mounting tape (3 rolls). I tried to get hold of the 'Heavy Duty' version but was told it was no longer available so I just used the regular version following the instructions on the packet. Cleaned both surfaces very carefully with a alcohol based cleaning wipe and fiited the tape in vertical strips as per instructions. My thinking was, I wanted an approach which was ultimately removable if it didn't work well, and the weight of the insulation lid is quite minimal so I couldn't see the need for an over the top adhesive. The biggest problem is locating the the lid correctly to ensure the rubber seal fits correctly and finding a tape which will hold the rubber seal in place. I drew a feint 'middle line' with a pencil on the rubber seal to assist this. After trying various options I ended up using simple insulation tape to secure the seal in place before fixing the fridge lid to the back of the glass. It seems to be holding up ok,... so we'll see how it goes. Two days after fitting it I found some rolls of the heavy duty tape (only in black) at my local B&Q so bought them and I'll keep them in the van if I need to do an impromptu repair/refit whilst away.

Did you have any trouble getting the hinge bolts out? Seen elsewhere that they used some sort of thread lock at the factory. My glass isn’t broken (yet) so will be taking measurements for the location of the seal and insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem with the removal of the hinges. Use a new (sharp) allan key and take extra care not to drop the screws as you remove them, it would be abugger if they fell behind the unit. On another note take the opportunity to vacuum clean the area behind the lid hinge fitting and the window. I'm wordering if some debris got into that space (small piece of grit) and when I opened the lid that contributed to the glass shattering. I still can't explain why my glass shattered and I want to avoid it happening again!

Back