Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Strange smell (rear)

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
My air con/heating is smelling, the smell remains for a few hours after I stop the engine, but is gone by the next day, until the engine is started again. It happens whether the heating is on or aircon is on or off or even when all the heating air con is set to off (switched off completely)

Its a strange smell its not the normal bad aircon smell, I think though it some bacterial issue

I has got worse over the last couple of months. It used to only happen when the back vents were on but now it happens even with the back vents switched off

I have done a air con bomb, made no difference at all.

I believe the rear vents are on a different compressor ? if so how do you clean that system ? I also think it might be in the vents at the back wondering how to revive them so I can spray some enzymes in there

On that note would ValetPro enzymes work sprayed into the vents, in which case where are the intake vents for the back compressor ?

Any advice would be great on how to best sort the smell.

Last edited:
My air con/heating is smelling, the smell remains for a few hours after I stop the engine, but is gone by the next day, until the engine is started again. It happens whether the heating is on or aircon is on or off or even when all the heating air con is set to off (switched off completely)

Its a strange smell its not the normal bad aircon smell, I think though it some bacterial issue

I has got worse over the last couple of months. It used to only happen when the back vents were on but now it happens even with the back vents switched off

I have done a air con bomb, made no difference at all.

I believe the rear vents are on a different compressor ? if so how do you clean that system ? I also think it might be in the vents at the back wondering how to revive them so I can spray some enzymes in there

On that note would ValetPro enzymes work sprayed into the vents, in which case where are the intake vents for the back compressor ?

Any advice would be great on how to best sort the smell.
Air intake for the rear heating unit are in the boot, on Right side at rear.

So behind the back seat, whats the vent below the back seat infant of the wheel arch .. is that it ?

Another question if the back unit is switched offaly air circulate through it?

So behind the back seat, whats the vent below the back seat infant of the wheel arch .. is that it ?

Another question if the back unit is switched offaly air circulate through it?
Yes. That's the inlet.

No idea. Haven't switched mine off in 10yrs.

Last edited:
Back