Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Smell in cab area :-/

SteveW

SteveW

VIP Member
Hi folks

Over the last few weeks I have noticed a smell just like cat wee in the cab :?

It's fine when I first get in and start the engine but the after 5-10 mins it appears come rain or shine. Thought this may have been the air con or vents but doesn't appear to be coming from either of these.

Going to check pollen filter etc but just wondered if any of you guys had had this issue :?:

Cheers

Steve

Is it after you have had the aircon on? I find that I get a smell after I turn it off, more a sweaty smell than cat wee!
Suspect I need to get the aircon cleaned with an antibacterial cleaner. Not lost a cat I assume ?

beardie said:
Is it after you have had the aircon on? I find that I get a smell after I turn it off, more a sweaty smell than cat wee!
Suspect I need to get the aircon cleaned with an antibacterial cleaner. Not lost a cat I assume ?

Hi, no it's makes little difference if I've had the air con on or not, when I first got the smell I hadn't had the air con on for a while. Its strange :crazy Going to put the zircon on tonight full blast on hot and cold to see if it solves the issue. Strange thing is it does appear intermittently.

Does your gray water tank have anything in it ? Try emptying it & puor miltons down the sink plug hole to remove any gunge in the waste pipe.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Andy said:
Does your gray water tank have anything in it ? Try emptying it & puor miltons down the sink plug hole to remove any gunge in the waste pipe.

Yep, we had similar and it bugged us for ages; a bit of bleach down the plug hole sorted it.

KernowLad said:
Andy said:

Yep, we had similar and it bugged us for ages; a bit of bleach down the plug hole sorted it.

Cheers gents I will try that next :thumb I did consider the grey water tank as I had been away on several trips and not emptied it for a while and thought the heat lately plus the sloshing around once moving may be the culprit. I did empty it a few days back but haven't poured anything down there like bleach etc.

Need to sort it as off to France for the first time in a few weeks.

:thanks

I wouldn't put bleach down it, really nasty stuff that rots all sorts. Sure some diluted Milton fluid would probably be better. I hold off putting anything but water down the plug. Can just imagine trying to get the 'crap' out of it when it starts to go off. Certain members of my family push all sorts down the sink at home. Surprised the rats haven't moved in!

beardie said:
I wouldn't put bleach down it, really nasty stuff that rots all sorts. Sure some diluted Milton fluid would probably be better. I hold off putting anything but water down the plug. Can just imagine trying to get the 'crap' out of it when it starts to go off. Certain members of my family push all sorts down the sink at home. Surprised the rats haven't moved in!

Ours gets no worse than tooth brushing water!

The 'grey' water tank can get quite pongy if left. Milton or bleach?? Not sure - I got some tank freshener from a camping shop (not the stuff for chemical toilets! specifically for water waste tanks) and put a bit of that down the sink at some stage each trip.

Seems to work well. And I reckon a good flush through with clean water once or twice a year (filling it right up through the sink so that the overflow circuit is washed through) is a good idea as well.

If stuff does congeal (yuck!) at the bottom of the grey tank, this can cause quite a few problems, as the diameter of the pipe through the drain tap is quite small and food waste can block it. If this happens, it is a right fiddly pain of a job to unblock.

Lewis

mark (VolksVans on here) has a terrible story of watching a woman fillet a mackerel and rinse it all down the sink... oh dear...

We don't let ANY food waste down the plug hole... Any serious dish washing takes place outside the van in a collapsible basin.

Rinsing cups and glasses is pretty much all that goes down the sink.

It doesn't have a proper trap and the gauge of the pipes is incredibly small.

Rgds
M

Thanks for all the input thus far. Don't think it is the grey water tank as never flush anything down there other than brushing teethe, also got my sizeable nose right over the plug hole n no smell.

Deffo seems to be coming from the front cab area :? It's s strange one, going to have a good mooch around it this weekend.

Steve

SteveW said:
Thanks for all the input thus far. Don't think it is the grey water tank as never flush anything down there other than brushing teethe, also got my sizeable nose right over the plug hole n no smell.

Deffo seems to be coming from the front cab area :? It's s strange one, going to have a good mooch around it this weekend.

Steve

In which case it's almost certainly from mould build p in the aircon/heating... Worth having it sterilised.

It's known affectionately as "sick car syndrome"

Halfords do a kit, but worth having it done professionally.

Rgds
M

Back