Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stunning reclamation.

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Alfie and I have managed to find ourselves in Nottinghamshire today.

Right opposite the campsite is a country park. Miles and miles, of tracks, trails and paths, woods, ponds, highest point in the county.....

25 years ago it wan an industrial wasteland. Two collieries, concrete building, sheds, wheelhouses, slag heaps, hardly a tree or blade of grass to be seen.

This is it today.teversal12.jpgteversal11.jpg teversal10.jpgteversal7.jpg

Looks lovely - where is it? Our lad is at Nottingham Trent uni, and we'd like to find a nice site nearby. The last one we went to was a CC CL and the grass was taller than my wellies!

The Sherrif would approve! :thumb

Looks lovely - where is it? Our lad is at Nottingham Trent uni, and we'd like to find a nice site nearby. The last one we went to was a CC CL and the grass was taller than my wellies!

Teversal CCC site. Very good site, lovely warm utilities with wet rooms rather than pokey showers. Hardstandings, very welcoming managers, gastro pub 10 minute walk away, chippy 5 minutes in the car, MnS foodie in Mansfield 5 miles away.

I'm on a flying reconnaissance tour, visiting 8 campsites in five days, all open during the winter, just in case we have to make a sudden dash North for Mum. I have a 9 point checklist, the most important is an immediate area for the dogs to run around for an hour as they will be spending long periods of time in the van.

It’s amazing how quickly Mother Nature takes back control

Quite lovely, and also shows what can happen when there's a will. The forestry commission manage the woodland reclamation and Nottinghamshire CC put the weight behind the project.

Quite lovely, and also shows what can happen when there's a will. The forestry commission manage the woodland reclamation and Nottinghamshire CC put the weight behind the project.
It’s good to see brownfield sites being sent back to greenfield and not 300 houses

Teversal CCC site. Very good site, lovely warm utilities with wet rooms rather than pokey showers. Hardstandings, very welcoming managers, gastro pub 10 minute walk away, chippy 5 minutes in the car, MnS foodie in Mansfield 5 miles away.

Hi Granny Jen Teversal is only 30 minutes away for us we use that site in the winter for a quick weekend away lovely site good place for dogs.

It’s good to see brownfield sites being sent back to greenfield and not 300 houses
That, of course, depends on who you are.

If, like me, you own property and have about 90% of your assets tied up in property, encircled by greenbelt land, little concerns you more than the thought of tens of thousands of new homes being built on that greenbelt, thereby depressing property prices and the value of your asset.

If, on the other hand, you are in your mid-thirties and still living with your parents because your average London salary of £35,000 is insufficient for a mortgage on the cheapest London property, you may well celebrate the idea of targeted brownfield development on the greenbelt.

Last one in is always first to slam the door.

......I agree by the way. Thankfully I have a church, a castle and three fields between me and the poor people :kiss

All that green belt land should be made available for new starter homes and nice campsites. Although not in Buckinghamshire, obvs.

Probably not suitable for housing, a lot of reclaimed industrial land isn’t.

Probably not suitable for housing, a lot of reclaimed industrial land isn’t.

Most of the brownfield around here seem taken up with distribution centres. I did a circuit through the Peak District today and came back via the ribbon of old industrial sites between Sheffield and Mansfield and the world and his dog seem to be distributing everything from Supermarket groceries to knocked off televisions.

Here in Dorset we have a lot of sand and gravel pits and many of the worked-out ones have been beautifully restored, some providing lakes for fishing and other recreation - boats and paddle boards etc.
The one nearest to us belong the Scouts and is used by many youth organisations, schools, DoE etc. for all sorts of outdoor activities and camping.

People protest when the sand and gravel companies apply for planning permission for a new area but nowadays such permission always comes with an obligation to restore when the digging is finished. I wouldn't mind betting that some of the scouts parents would be extremely surprised if I told them what Buddens was like when I used to work for ARC Sand & Gravel!

Back