Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stupid me - scratch repair now needed

D

deccauk

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I stupidly scratched the sliding door with my bike, and am wondering if a smart repair would sort it. I've had smart repairs done previously on other cars, but only on very curved surfaces such as bumpers and wing mirrors.

I'm not sure that they will tackle large flat surfaces. Any one had anything like this repaired?

Scratch.jpg

Gutted for you. Not sure how good the match would be on a large flat panel from a smart repair. Might be worth getting some quotes from body shops as well. At least you know you are going to get a proper match.

Upsetting as it is, and it will annoy you every time it catches your eye, it is probably best to live with it.

I had something very similar the wife did when her chair tipped over, none of the smart repairs guys would touch it as it is a flat surface, they can only really repair if it is not on a flat panel ( as mentioned above ) I did try to live with it but it used to annoy me so much due to its location so I forked out for a respray of the door which cost me £482 + VAT

A good, independent body shop would sort that. I wouldn't bother with the big, insurance claim places. Better off finding a small place that gets business through their reputation.

I had some damage to bumper/wing, and somebody from this forum recommended Autotek in Cromford. Came back as new for £132. Maybe someone can recommend a good body shop more local to you?

If you get it resprayed chances are it will be noticeable under certain types of light.

I would polish out the superficial part of the scarring with a mild abrasive like Brasso, or a proprietary colour restorer. This would leave the deeper scratches to which I would apply touch up paint using a cocktail stick with the point broken off so the end was about 2mm diameter. (Usually the brush that comes with the touch up paint puts a big splodge of paint on, so don't use that).

Build up the thickness of paint with repeated applications until it's slightly proud of the surrounding area, then carefully polish it back. With patience you should get it so it's hardly noticeable.

I've used this technique in the past and it's been successful. Good luck.

(Failing that put a VWCC sticker on it :D)

I have had similar problems with cars and got satisfactory results by the workshop touching in the scratches and then floating in the paint. I think they basically polish (flat) it in. I have to say I've been pretty pleased with the results and it's much much cheaper than a respray. If you weren't happy you could then go down the respray route. Very difficult to spray one panel and blend it in though!

If you get it resprayed chances are it will be noticeable under certain types of light.

I would polish out the superficial part of the scarring with a mild abrasive like Brasso, or a proprietary colour restorer. This would leave the deeper scratches to which I would apply touch up paint using a cocktail stick with the point broken off so the end was about 2mm diameter. (Usually the brush that comes with the touch up paint puts a big splodge of paint on, so don't use that).

Build up the thickness of paint with repeated applications until it's slightly proud of the surrounding area, then carefully polish it back. With patience you should get it so it's hardly noticeable.

I've used this technique in the past and it's been successful. Good luck.

(Failing that put a VWCC sticker on it :D)

I'm in the process of doing that at the moment. I'm actually on my second attempt! I initially tried lightly wiping the touch up (after leaving it for a couple of hours) with a tissue and some isopropyl alcohol, but it removed most of it. Next time I think I'll try some very careful rubbing with 800 grit wet and dry followed by polishing.

Incidently, why are touch up paints never the correct colour? It's the official VW Sand Beige, and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I had a really good smart repair done on a metallic car by Chips Away. They filled a dent about 1cm diameter, sprayed it and used some kind of multilayer lacquer system that was blended in around the repair without redoing the compete panel. I couldn't believe how invisible it was, even in the sun. I kept the car for five more years and the repair was still invisible when I sold it. The blending included a straight run of metal as well as a curve. I'll certainly be going back to them when (I'm a realist:() I next get a problem like that. They were the only company I found who offered to do it without relacquering the whole wing.
Hope this might help. Good luck:)

I had a really good smart repair done on a metallic car by Chips Away. They filled a dent about 1cm diameter, sprayed it and used some kind of multilayer lacquer system that was blended in around the repair without redoing the compete panel. I couldn't believe how invisible it was, even in the sun. I kept the car for five more years and the repair was still invisible when I sold it. The blending included a straight run of metal as well as a curve. I'll certainly be going back to them when (I'm a realist:() I next get a problem like that. They were the only company I found who offered to do it without relacquering the whole wing.
Hope this might help. Good luck:)

I've been in touch with my local Chips Away and they would want to spray the whole panel up to the crease and down to the trim piece.

I'm living with it for the time being :(

I had something very similar on my Audi A3 with white metallic plate. It's leased with Lex autolease and they got Auto Restore (same group as Autoglass) to come out and they did it under a special tent they erected around the car. I'm pretty particular about my cars and cannot see it at all now. I didn't get the invoice but it may be worth giving them a ring.

Back