Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Supply and demand

MrP

MrP

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I know campervans are incredibly popular at the moment but I am shocked to see T5 2.5s on here and other sites for high £20k and in to £30k+.
I have seen a couple of 10+ year old vans being advertised for what they were probably new.

As an owner of a T5 which I love and have no real intention of selling it is hard not to at the moment...£££

I know classics cars are rising but a T5 aint a classic (yet).

Why the sudden increase when T5.1s seem to be holding steady?

We sold our 2008 174 for that price last year before CV19 was a twinkle...

I know campervans are incredibly popular at the moment but I am shocked to see T5 2.5s on here and other sites for high £20k and in to £30k+.
I have seen a couple of 10+ year old vans being advertised for what they were probably new.

As an owner of a T5 which I love and have no real intention of selling it is hard not to at the moment...£££

I know classics cars are rising but a T5 aint a classic (yet).

Why the sudden increase when T5.1s seem to be holding steady?
all gone nuts this world we are in .

Try and get a mint T4 Generation, Event or Freestyle 150ps for
under 20k.
No chance, they are on the up and have been for a good few years now.

The T5 having the 5 cylinders will be a better classic than the T5.1 tree hugger.

under 20k.

The T5 having the 5 cylinders will be a better classic than the T5.1 tree hugger.
need a v8 burble .

under 20k.
No chance, they are on the up and have been for a good few years l
Wow really? We were talking about this just last week. I paid £23.5k four years ago for a pretty nice example of the above.
I assumed given the demise of diesel/LHD and euro 4 motor, I’d barely be able to give it away?

It doesn’t matter by the way, you’d need to prise it from my cold dead hands! She’s a keeper.

The older ones are getting dragged up by the hysteria amongst the well off first time buyers paying daft money for nearly new ones.
Expect to see a major correction in late autumn when those who bought in haste decide its not for them, when the reality of queuing in the rain for the toilet block didn't quite match their dreams.

under 20k.

I think many T5 owners are getting out when the going is good, long term the T5 has an engine problem that they may not want to be left with.

The T5 2.5 is not the same as the T4 which is very reliable and repairable, it sounds great good idea no cam belt etc etc but it gets to a point where it’s not repairable, plasma coated cylinder bores can be bored out and a cast iron sleeve pressed in but not a great fix as it reduces the strength of the cylinder block, some parts for the timing gear are not available and never have been ie the alternator drive shaft & bush, parts have to be made by a machine shop, engine overhaul is very expansive.

Alternative is a new cylinder block or engine from VW if still available, secondhand in short supply as only produced for a short number of years and most T5’s sold have a 1.9 Tdi.

I know there’s going to be comments on how good the T5 2.5 Tdi is bla! bla! Yes it great when its goin and blows away the T5.1 2.0 Tdi, life span who knows some fail at about 100k some thrashed to death cover really high mileage, wrong oil it will fail very quickly.
But the fact remains it’s a time bomb.

Hmmnnn .... so many engine variants across all makes are a time bomb if poorly serviced and the earlier post 2.5 4 cylinder 2Ls were/are for the first 3yrs or so and from new!
Buying 2h always always check their service record in detail. For me ... no detail, walk away!
That old Audi 2.5 has a great longevity if serviced properly.

Back