Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Surfboard rack options for T6.1 California

Saw those brackets, looks a good option with the wider bars. Not sure my roof box (halfords with the thule jaw clamps) would fit.
Not sure about that - would have to check clearances to the roof.

Also, some roof boxes have a recess for the roofbars (more aerodynamic) this means the box can be very close to the roof in the center. At the edges there is more clearance.

I guess a slightly deeper mount will be preferable for both the Thule quick snap fixings and the box clearance. I will investigate.

John

Also, some roof boxes have a recess for the roofbars (more aerodynamic) this means the box can be very close to the roof in the center. At the edges there is more clearance.

I guess a slightly deeper mount will be preferable for both the Thule quick snap fixings and the box clearance. I will investigate.

John
Yes, you are right. The box does have a recess for the bars, had forgotten about that. Will take a look tomorrow and see how far below the top of the bar it would sit.

John
Will your mounts with with the 711320 127cm bars, or do you need 135cm?

I went for 127cm length bars on my own ultra low mounts. Can fit two surfboards side by side but not SUPs. Had to put one SUP on top of the other. Don't know if a thule top box will fit ok with my home made ultra low mounts (10mm lower than the ones on ebay) can't see why not. IMO 127cm length bars look nicer than the 130cm ones.

20211003_182300.jpg

I have the standard VW roof bars. Must admit, I would mind something a bit lower. They do stand quite high on the roof.

Just realised why the VW roof bars are at the height they’re…

9BBF3A3D-0454-434C-A892-23F645BB8932.jpeg

Place my SUP (11') upside down on low roof rails with no overhang at rear only at the front of van. So no issue opening the Van's tailgate

Will your mounts with with the 711320 127cm bars, or do you need 135cm?
Hi, my mounts will fit the 127 bars. The roof tracks on the California are 121 cm apart, so that leaves enough for the brackets to function, and the bars will overhang the tracks approx. 30mm each side.

John

Hi, my mounts will fit the 127 bars. The roof tracks on the California are 121 cm apart, so that leaves enough for the brackets to function, and the bars will overhang the tracks approx. 30mm each side.

John
Can't seem to send you a message to order a set!

Hi, I can offer a couple of options.
One is a low profile mounting system for Thule roof bars (ref ebay item 174835748912) - I can make different heights if needed. The other is a side loading roofrack which is a different animal completely. It will be ideal for multiple SUP boards with the right brackets, but I don't think it will work with the Thule SUP taxi very well and this would need to mount to the T-slot instead of the securing straps.

Message me if you would like any further details.

John
Hi JB, think ive just messaged you on eBay. Are you selling on here too?

Hi JB, think ive just messaged you on eBay. Are you selling on here too?
Yes .... i would prefer to deal direct with forum members - helps to keep the cost down.
I'm in france with limited internet and limited time.

Wil PM you when I get back - probably thursday.

John

any updates on how those are working? was thinking about a set for sand tracks.

Back