Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extra Luggage options

beardie

beardie

I am exploring the options for carrying additional luggage in the Cali.
Options seems to be (appart from reducing the amount)

1) Roof rails and top box -

Quite expensive (approx £600 for rails and box)
Assume this has an impact on fuel consumption ?
is difficult to load / unload wihtout a ladder

2) Thule back box with tow bar

Even more expensive after the tow bar, carrier and box are factored in
Lower impact on fuel consumption
Easier to load / unload

3) Fiamma bike rack and ultra box

A pitty to buy another bike rack - I already have a VW rack
Medium cost (approx £500). Dont believer the ultra box will fit on the VW rack

4) Brandrup Flexbag CARGO on my VW bike rack (that I already have)

Cheapest at £200
Not very secure and not 100% weatherproof
Limited size
Packs away well

Any comments on the above options, is there any that I have missed

TIA

I think the best bet is to buy everything with a view to minimising its size - thinking like a walking camper rather than campervanner - and then make a couple of mods to the van

Wacky practicals kettle -coffee filter etc, vango sleeping bags and liners that scrunch into little bags, zonesleep if it packs small rather than duvalays, something other than a pucer as a roof topper, comfortz type awnings that pack into the camper chairs rather than a driveaway tent, brompton bikes as they fit in front foot wells, rohan does clothing that packs really small - it does trousers with zip off legs - it does fleeces that are much thinner than normal, helly hansen long johns and long sleeved thermal shirt rather than thick warm bedding, leatherman type multi-tools, gore tex walking trainers rather than walking boots, gore tex paclite coats fold up very small, there are head torches that fold up incredibly small like petzl +lite,

if you really want minimalism, rather than a porta potti there are the "emergency" type products that pack about as small as a 35mm film canister. X bowls do folding cups, bowls, plates but i dont trust them and its debatable whether they save space. Spork type utensils, trangia pots and pans

In terms of mods on the forum there are posts on installing second drawer under the rear bench, rear headrest removal. I have the safe, this wastes a bit of space but I still like it

Ive used vans and camper vans for over 15 years now.
The best advice i can give, is be totally ruthless in what you pack. It amazes me what people take on holiday with them.

Camping should be about getting back to basics.
Take minimal food, think about if your really need certain items. Dont take to many clothes. I really like the Rohan clothing as its practical and lightweight and can fold into small pieces. I have a small rucksack which gives me enough clothes for two weeks. Fully loaded it usually weighs about 9kilos.

Seen people take half their kitchen away. Other than a kettle, i can do without most day to day items ;)

I agree with that I first started taking loads of stuff now it's the bare minimum. I use the campsite washing machine if I can. The kids pack their own rucksacks with all there gadgets :thumb
Just a few small pans and a wacky kettle :thumb

Any comments on the above options, is there any that I have missed

I can easily add the vast overhead storage space :goodone

image.php

image.php

As way of justifying my question! I am transporting a number of my daughters teenage friends to a campsite. A strict audit of bag contents may not be appreciated!

So any answers to the original question ;-)

What about a small trailer pod.
Yes you will have the expense of fitting a towbar, but the trailer would give loads of additional storage.
I'm sure you can hire them to.

Hi
i use a couple of 100 litre waterproof sailing bags when fully loaded and strap them onto the vw bike rack, and so far they havent let me down ie letting the water in
they were about £25 each and obviously will fold flat when empty.

i also have vw bars and a roof box the only problem with that is i then need to carry a small set of steps to easily access the box.

just another option

dave and lisa :thumb

If you have a tow bar, rent a little trailer.

I would go with the trailer also great way to take the rubbish to the tip without putting it in the van
:thumb

I have strongly considered the trailer option but storing it is an issue. The garage is so full of cr*p I can't really find the space and I would be in serious trouble if it was chained up on the drive. A top or back box is the most space I have.

Pack less, or get a box for the rack and don't forget about the 50kg limit.

Rent a little trailer - probably cost next to nowt...

Danny,
So why are you selling? I already have the bike rack so wouldn't need that bit

beardie said:
Danny,
So why are you selling? I already have the bike rack so wouldn't need that bit
Brought it all for a previous Caravelle that I almost immediately upgraded to a Cali.....Cali came with rack and no towbar.....hence it's sat in the garage for a year.