Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wanted Swap my silver awning for black

D

Dalboy

VIP Member
Sorry wasn't sure where to post a swap, hopefully this is OK

Managed to finally get a omnistor awning for my van of this very site :clap (thanks Mike and Sally) and was going to have it wrapped in satin black to suit my colour but thought I'd see if anyone was looking to upgrade from black to silver and would be interested in swapping first :D

I'm in Camberley, Surrey

I'm just wondering why anyone would swap a silver, heat reflecting awning for a cheaper heat-absorbing black one?

GeoffB said:
I'm just wondering why anyone would swap a silver, heat reflecting awning for a cheaper heat-absorbing black one?

it's only the case that's black the awning fabric is the same colour ;)

GeoffB said:

Quite simply I want a black one to match my van :lol: call it vanity

just to make clear I have the silver awning (more expensive) and want a black awning (less expensive) the fabric on both are grey

Dalboy I agree with you I think the outside colour of the Awning is far more important than the colour of the awning material.

Quite simple silver awnings look good on Silver Vans - dark vans need black awnings. I figure blue vans can carry off either.

Good luck with your swap I am sure someone with a light coloured Van and a standard awning would be happy to swap - worse case scenario just go to Calis on the Farm 2014 and put up a sign - I think they are easy to swap over :)

Hadn't realized it was the outer, not the awning itself, and agree matching is best. Wonder if it would be possible to paint or spray the awning cover to match the Cali exactly, for instance of you had a red one?

teeboy said:
Quite simple silver awnings look good on Silver Vans - dark vans need black awnings. I figure blue vans can carry off either.

I am just about to purchase a natural grey (I think) - what awning do you think looks better on these? I was planning on going for the silver awning as I'd heard they were slightly more durable too (coated in something that the black one isn't) but now making me wonder whether a black actually might blend in better??

IMHO

Silver awning on silver or white vans
Either on blue vans
Everything else black

I have no idea how much better the material is on the silver awning - I am sceptical that the reflectiveness makes a difference but it may be more durable.

Disclaimer - I have a grey van with black awning so I am biased

T

I don't think it's the material that's different (in fact I'm pretty sure it is the same) but apparently the silver casing is powder coated with something which makes it a bit more durable than the black one...according to the dealer anyway

I'd been thinking of the silver initially as I was going to select the Sand Beige, but now I'm thinking of the natural grey I'm thinking perhaps the black might blend in better after all...

Not got a Cali but a T5 camper however I had my last awning sprayed off road grey to match the van. It was ok when new but found it did chip on the edges and yes it was professionally sprayed.

Now got a Silver van with all black accents eg: wing mirrors, wheels and part of the front end with a black awning rail and guess what I have a black awning and it sets the van off great, I feel that this silver on silver vans and black on black vans works but black on silver vans also works.

Must admit I am not too keen on silver awnings on black vans but that is what makes everyone's van individual.

I've just seen my new van and despite me speccing a black awning it's got a silver one. Vw nz are reluctant to change it but I have all the paperwork to support it and they aren't arguing with it. They have offered to get it vinyl wrapped which could be an option - anyone comment on that ?
Oh the van is Olympic blue and stunning - collect it tomorrow. It's a 180 manual 4 motion with privacy glass, mudflaps, climatronic, multi func wheel and a towbar which was wired wrong from factory but is now fixed thanks to a very enthusiastic young tech who is in love with the van !

Congratulations on getting your van, although wrapping will do the job I personally would insist on the black awning if that is what was ordered.

Isn't the light awning better than the black one. I think the light one has a reflective fabric. So arguably a wrapped light awning is better than an original black one. Certainly the light one costs more...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Sorry wasn't sure where to post a swap, hopefully this is OK

Managed to finally get a omnistor awning for my van of this very site :clap (thanks Mike and Sally) and was going to have it wrapped in satin black to suit my colour but thought I'd see if anyone was looking to upgrade from black to silver and would be interested in swapping first :D

I'm in Camberley, Surrey
If you are still looking, we would be up for a swap, from a 2011 face lift in grey. But we are in Scotland, so might be easier 4 u locally? Martin

Back