Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removal of head unit (RNS 310)

VIP Member
Hi,

Does anyone know how to remove a head unit from the 2013 California SE dash fascia? The unit I have fitted is a VW RNS 310 sat nav and it isn't at all clear how to expose the 4 screws that hold the double DIN unit in - is it the large silver panel that wraps around the air con and other switches? Or does the front of the unit detach (like others such as RCD 310)?

Appreciate any advice.

You need to remove the top tray on the dash first, then there are two bolts at the top of the large piece of silver trim (underneath the top tray trim) round the air vents. Once these are removed, use a trim tool to remove the silver trim and the four bolts will be exposed.

Good luck

smgcowfold said:
You need to remove the top tray on the dash first, then there are two bolts at the top of the large piece of silver trim (underneath the top tray trim) round the air vents. Once these are removed, use a trim tool to remove the silver trim and the four bolts will be exposed.

Good luck

Alex - thanks for help a 2nd time! (the rear speaker job was a complete success thanks).

The top tray is where the new 12v socket is? Right will go and have a look. I rather thought that must be the case but good to know and good to avoid damage.

Many thanks again.

smgcowfold said:
Yes that is where the 12 volt socket is

cheers

Yes, I just looked and see what you mean but how on earth does that come off?!! ( - sorry to be a bit thick here!)

There is a details document in the download section on radio removal

AlternativeKim said:
There is a details document in the download section on radio removal

if you are a VIP... which is becoming a consideration seeing as this forum is so very helpful.

Does the doc cover the facelift and this variant of head unit though? It is a 2013 vehicle.
Thanks.

It shows the removal of the rns510 on a facelift model I believe :thumb

If you look on Youtube it shows you lever the top tray off from the back (windscreen) side of the tray using a trim removal tool.

Hope this helps.

Custardtart said:
If you look on Youtube it shows you lever the top tray off from the back (windscreen) side of the tray using a trim removal tool.

Hope this helps.

Sure does! Looked loads for u tube clips - tried again and there it is top of the list (an Alpine one).
That looks easy as anything!
Will get it done tomorrow.
I only want to get hold of the aux out from the Quadlock connector so I can join it with my external Kenwood amp. The amps in the the OEM kit are a bit mediocre to say the least.

Thanks for that.

The amps in the the OEM kit are a bit mediocre to say the least.

You are the only person out of over 4000 on this forum who has that thought (to my knowledge)

The difference is immense and that is about normal for OEM kit.
I have a Kenwood amp that is anything but a marginal difference .

Back