Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Synchronising Key

B

BristolCali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
One of my original keys has stopped working despite having a new battery. I have followed the instructions in the manual (screen grab attached) but they don’t make logical sense i.e. if you lock the van you can’t turn on the ignition. I tried it with unlocking but that didn’t work either.

Can anyone shed any light on this please, the key still starts the van it’s just the remote central locking that’s the issue. Thanks, John.

E6D11F7D-6BC8-4652-BD04-8C67E1D6E2EF.jpeg

One of my original keys has stopped working despite having a new battery. I have followed the instructions in the manual (screen grab attached) but they don’t make logical sense i.e. if you lock the van you can’t turn on the ignition. I tried it with unlocking but that didn’t work either.

Can anyone shed any light on this please, the key still starts the van it’s just the remote central locking that’s the issue. Thanks, John.

View attachment 104574
Have you tried-

Drivers window Open
Sit in drivers seat and lock door with key in drivers door.
Remove key and switch On Ignition.

The Remote May have failed, especially if you haven’t tried to repeatedly lock/unlock while out of range.

Terrible video but what I thought - it does the sync while in the key lock. So you lock and unlock from there with key in.

Last edited:
Thanks @WelshGas and @dspuk
I have since found that when I lock the van with the working key the red LED goes solid for some time after flashing indicating some sort of locking fault. This may explain why I can't sync.

Thanks @WelshGas and @dspuk
I have since found that when I lock the van with the working key the red LED goes solid for some time after flashing indicating some sort of locking fault. This may explain why I can't sync.
Don’t know how old the van is but might be worth a new battery.

I have resolved this issue. Firstly the manual doesn't show a process that works on my 2017 T6 Ocean to re sync the key, here is what I did:

1. Lock the key with my good working key.
2. Take key that isn't synced
3. Get next to van door and press the unlock key on the remote.
4. Flip out the key blade and manually unlock the van, the alarm will sound.
5. Put the unsynced key into the ignition and turn the ignition on.
6. Jump in and drive away (this is what I did when it worked but you maybe able to avoid this)
7. When I arrived at my destination the previously unsynced key worked.

Another thing I did which meant that the key stayed synced (part of the issue) was to buy a Duracell battery not use one of my cheapo Ebay ones.