Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ignition key removal problem

D

deccauk

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Twice today when I've parked the Cali, I couldn't get the ignition key out of the lock. I couldn't turn the key fully counter clockwise. It felt like the steering wheel locking mechanism wouldn't engage and allow key removal. Only by starting the engine and twirling the steering wheel left and right a few times did the problem go away.

Is this a known issue? Any suggestions for a DIY fix would be very welcome.

You drive an automatic? If so probably the large right button on gear selector hadn't popped out when you put it in park perhaps??

Had the same also and I thought here we go. Turned the key to activate the steering lock and hey presto the key came out. I assume its an anti theft device.

You drive an automatic? If so probably the large right button on gear selector hadn't popped out when you put it in park perhaps??

Had this problem on two DSG Cali's , surely not another known fault, i thought i was just unlucky

Yes it is a DSG. It doesn't seem like the button sticks, but next time it happens, I'll focus on that button.

Thanks

Yes it is a DSG. It doesn't seem like the button sticks, but next time it happens, I'll focus on that button.

Thanks
Yes double check it as my key will not come out unless the big black button Is fully out, sometimes I have to tap it to make sure it fully releases and then out pops the key. Another odditie I'm assuming with the vehicle. I'm sure others may contribute hereafter and confirm what I've said or offer their own thoughts and solutions ;-)

I'm always being caught out if the Auto Stop has worked. Drive up, park, put handbrake on engine stopped go to take out key, can't and then realise not in Park. Put in Park and then have to move key On and then Back to get it out. I'll learn one day.:(

Twice today when I've parked the Cali, I couldn't get the ignition key out of the lock. I couldn't turn the key fully counter clockwise. It felt like the steering wheel locking mechanism wouldn't engage and allow key removal. Only by starting the engine and twirling the steering wheel left and right a few times did the problem go away.

Is this a known issue? Any suggestions for a DIY fix would be very welcome.

The problem with withdrawal of ignition key occurred with our 2011 180 DSG during a tour of England recently. Very frustrating for two reasons - 1) There was no way of locking the vehicle whilst the key was captive in the ignition lock (the spare key wouldn't work in that situation), and 2) two VW van centres consulted by 'phone said that we almost certainly needed a new ignition lock barrel and that it would take about 10 days to get one because it was coded.

It all rather spoiled our tour for two or three days until we realised that the problem only occurred when the button on the DSG gear selector button failed to pop out in the Park position. Since this discovery a very quick fiddle with the gear selector has resulted in the button popping out and the key withdraws with no problem. Whether the gear selector button failing to pop out is a symptom of something more serious developing we don't yet know.

Never had this problem with my DSG.

Having said that I probably will now !!!

I had this problem with an automatic Audi A4 some years back when on holiday in Provence, it was the button problem on the gearshift..... I did panic for a while....

I have that problem.

I normally resolve it by putting it into drive and then back into Park. Probably the same cause .... I will now make sure that all my buttons are pressed ...:sad

Oooh you are awful!

Currently driving a manual at the moment:confused:

I've had this problem today but not the button. Had to call roadside assist who said it it to do with gears and needed to contact VW. Will be something to do with ignition inhibitor. He showed me how to wiggle it to get it out. Will be on the phone tomorrow.

this is a known fault, had this on my T5, dealer replaced the button mechanism on the gear lever and was fine.

Bumping this old thread as I have this problem (where the DSG button sticks in sometimes) on a ten year old Cali 180 DSG and it’s quite annoying to say the least.

Is there a simple fix that anyone is aware of?

I was all set to squirt some silicone spray into the crevice around the button but realised it doesn’t stick when in park, well not at this exact moment anyway. I need to try it again with the engine on and see how to recreate it.

I have a suspicion the issue could actually be further down the mechanism, which from what I can hear when listening to the clunks and clicks, goes as far as the ignition barrel or at least the steering column.

I guess I’m hoping I can pull some trim off and get some lubricant in there to sort it, but would rather follow a proven method before getting trigger happy with a silicone can and trim tools.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Back