Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 california pop top trim

Hubble

Hubble

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
The rubbery/plastic trim that goes round the edge of the pop up roof has started coming away at the front.
Any idea what kind of glue I should use to stick it back?
There was also a metal bracket that anchors the strap to the canvas. This has also come off but I might not bother putting this back, doesn't really do anything.
Thanks

I've never changed one of these to date. I'm not even sure they are bonded on as there's never any mention of adhesive where new ones are concerned. You may be able to get away with pulling the loosest section away and crimping the part that grips (or not in this case) the roof with some pliers. I'd be tempted to replace the metal bracket too - I suspect that goes some way to reducing any canvas flap when the roof is up and it's a bit blowy.

Anybody know where you can buy this trim? It's not listed on the Günzl website and I can't seem to find it anywhere else.

I'm told, although I haven't checked this for myself because I despair of my local dealer, that it is no longer available from VW.

mrcheesbrough...I was confused by this when I saw it on the Günzle web site. I need the item that fits around the external base of the pop top.

I thought the item you have helpfully pointed me to (from Günzle) is the internal seal between the bellows fabric and the metal roof, but as I've not tackled the replacement of the bellows yet, I'm not sure.

Enlightenment would be appreciated!

It caught me out, but this is the seal around the outer edge of the pop top roof that seals against the metalwork of the camper when the roof is down. Is that what you were after?

I'm shying away from the roof canvas replacement for a while longer. @sidepod has done a replacement (albeit it on an older variation of the canvas) and did a sterling job of providing a simple explanation and tips for tools you might need. I don't think the seal that is part of the canvas sandwich to the body would need replacing.

mrcheesborough...just right! Part 19 is the item I'm after.

That photo on Günzl has confused me for years, so thanks for pointing out, what is now, blindingly obvious.

I will now go ahead and order one, together with the bellows, with the utmost confidence. Wish I could say the same regarding the fitting, but with 'sidepods' excellent 'how to' and help from knowledgeable friends I'm sure we can accomplish the task, after I've had the roof resprayed.

It just goes on and on...but I've loved, owned and driven VW buses since 1967, so there's no hope of a cure now!

Thanks for all your help.

mrcheesborough...just right! Part 19 is the item I'm after.

That photo on Günzl has confused me for years, so thanks for pointing out, what is now, blindingly obvious.

I will now go ahead and order one, together with the bellows, with the utmost confidence. Wish I could say the same regarding the fitting, but with 'sidepods' excellent 'how to' and help from knowledgeable friends I'm sure we can accomplish the task, after I've had the roof resprayed.

It just goes on and on...but I've loved, owned and driven VW buses since 1967, so there's no hope of a cure now!

Thanks for all your help.

You've gotta love these vehicles despite their constant scope for improvement and refurbishment. We've had ours for 5 years and it's well and truly a part of the family now. We can't imagine it not being on the drive, being used on the school run, transporting us to foreign climes. The list goes on.

It may be worth giving your local VW dealer a chance to quote you on the seal. It may work out a bit cheaper than the one from Günzl. They may surprise you.

I look forward to hearing of your canvas replacement exploits. For now our silver gaffer tape is holding up well.

512 should do the trick.

Quick question on this. The pop up roof seal on my T4 has started to separate where the two ends have been bonded together. It's now letting water in and making the canvas wet.

What's the right bonding agent to use to connect the 2 ends of the rubber seal together? Going to try this first to see if it makes it watertight, if it doesn't work I'll purchase a new seal

Back