Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaky pop top seals?

S

Simon_vanlife

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
So early summer here in Denmark has been soaking and of course the pop top started to leak at some point. We are always using a cover to reinforce the canvas, so my suspicion is turned to the seal below the rear aluminium frame.
Water seems to enter the cabin in the rear left corner (see picture 1) and the running into the roof trims and down the rear left frame onto the chassis floor just by the fresh water tank.

I've fixed the seal from the outside (see picture 2), but that haven't made any difference. Maybe it is running from the opposite side? Note once again, that water is NOT entering trough the canvas since the problem begun when using the cover which only allows water to travel on the base of the roof. :)

Any ideas are welcome! :) Thanks!

IMG_8866.jpgIMG_8867.jpg

NOTE!! The problem is on the rear RIGHT corner! :talktothehand

This might seem really obvious but have you actually seen water in the corner pictured in your photo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NOTE!! The problem is on the rear RIGHT corner! :talktothehand
I presume you have noticed and discounted the dried out and cracked Black Mastic around that roof structural support?

I presume you have noticed and discounted the dried out and cracked Black Mastic around that roof structural support?
Yes, also tried to block that of without any changes.

This might seem really obvious but have you actually seen water in the corner pictured in your photo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, it’s been a lot. Woke up with a soaked bed one day. Also needed to put towels to soak it up..

Sure it’s not door seal?
FD282948-BDC1-4BA5-A717-207AA400DB93.jpeg

Can you try to pour water on the different places, and find out where the water gets in?
Take a water hose and let someone watch inside, or let someone pour the water and you get inside?
Take a torch to be able to see.

Or pour some soapy water on the outside and blow from the inside and look where the water starts to bubble?

Can you try to pour water on the different places, and find out where the water gets in?
Take a water hose and let someone watch inside, or let someone pour the water and you get inside?
Take a torch to be able to see.

Or pour some soapy water on the outside and blow from the inside and look where the water starts to bubble?
It comes it right where i've put the red arrow on the picture. But I suspect that it's travelling from another place.

Yes, it’s been a lot. Woke up with a soaked bed one day. Also needed to put towels to soak it up..

Wow. Okay. Not what you need at all. What about the roof hinge? Is it maybe coming in past the bolts on top of the roof and working it’s way along to the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Okay. Not what you need at all. What about the roof hinge? Is it maybe coming in past the bolts on top of the roof and working it’s way along to the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The top cover that we use allows no water to enter the roof nor the canvas. I can reproduce the "symptom" if i spray water in the area of the aluminium frame, but rather to re-seal the whole thing I was hoping that it was a known problem with a specific solution. ;)