Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 Roofbed

P

Peachey Lane

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi VW California enthusiasts. I am new to this forum and I’m based in Oslo, Norway.
We just bought our first T4 California coach, 1996 model. Unfortunately, the front roof bed plate is missing, and I have no luck in finding a replacement. Can anyone help? Either with who to contact or the dimensions of the plate so we can get one made. Thanks!
Glenn

:welcome Welcome Glenn. There are a few on here who may be able to help. @2into1 - you had a T4, yes? Can you offer any advice?

:welcome Welcome Glenn. There are a few on here who may be able to help. @2into1 - you had a T4, yes? Can you offer any advice?
I think the OP needs a current owner and try and get one made to exact dimensions.

If the title can be changed to "T4 roof bed help required" it should bring along the cavalry

Happy to measure mine and send dimensions?

If indeed you are going the DIY-route, while you are at it, consider adding a 3rd bed plate. It is not only useful to prevent stuff (kids/pillows) from following out of the top bed, but also extends the bed a lot, making it into a luxury bed, where even people of normal lengths can sleep comfortably. Here's a link to the 3's plate/hatch I added to our T4.

If indeed you are going the DIY-route, while you are at it, consider adding a 3rd bed plate. It is not only useful to prevent stuff (kids/pillows) from following out of the top bed, but also extends the bed a lot, making it into a luxury bed, where even people of normal lengths can sleep comfortably. Here's a link to the 3's plate/hatch I added to our T4.
Thank you for posting this link. I read your articles with interest and I was very impressed with your suggested fix for the leaking kitchen window. I have exactly the same issue with my van (also a 1994 Westy).

I've been told to fix it, the entire kitchen needs to come out, panelling off, screws replaced from the inside, etc, basically a big and expensive task.

So I'll see about trying your suggestion first. I want to keep the original window, but as you say, these original windows are very hard to find, and even if you did find one, could cost a small fortune. And I want to keep my van as original as practically possible.

Hi Thomas, great suggestion and reply. This is very useful. Thank you for your time in helping us. Much appreciated! Kind regards Glenn

Thank you for posting this link. I read your articles with interest and I was very impressed with your suggested fix for the leaking kitchen window. I have exactly the same issue with my van (also a 1994 Westy).

I've been told to fix it, the entire kitchen needs to come out, panelling off, screws replaced from the inside, etc, basically a big and expensive task.

So I'll see about trying your suggestion first. I want to keep the original window, but as you say, these original windows are very hard to find, and even if you did find one, could cost a small fortune. And I want to keep my van as original as practically possible.

I completely understand your situation. I can tell you we had multiple towels/dishcloths on the right hand corner of the kitchen counter in case it would rain when we were away from the van and quite some water would find it's way into the van, even just by dripping constantly.

In the end just removing, cleaning and putting the window back did the trick. If I remember correctly I also put some vaseline on the rubber. That sorted it out for us. But even if that doesn't sort it for you, you can always replace the rubber strip around the window. Original rubber strips can sometimes still be found (online, Germany) but there are also generic alternative replacements that work just fine.

I love DIY but I am by no means experienced. But this was something anyone can do without prior experience. And it's worth a try considering the expensive alternative and the chances of it working are quite good.

Hi Thomas, great suggestion and reply. This is very useful. Thank you for your time in helping us. Much appreciated! Kind regards Glenn
No problem @Peachey Lane

Always happy to help. And I have a soft spot in my heart for Norwegians :) , as I used to live in Norway. Althoug both your name and username suggest you're British rather then Norwegian. But of course still happy to help. :)