Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 westy

R

Richard McCann

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi all new to the group
I have just brought a 1991 t4 westfalia as a project to do up and keep but I'm a bit stumped on a few things could anyone help me please

What would you like to know?
Hi my t4 will start when I connect an electric pump going from a Jerry can to the injector pump and sounds okay when I do so , but if I disconnect the electric pump and connect it to the filter ( new one filter , comes straight from the tank then ) she will eventually splutter and stop ,
Would you have any suggestions ??
Is their some sort off vacuum pump anywhere that will pull the fuel through to the injector pump or is the pump needing a rebuild

Sidepod and a couple of others will no doubt try and help you with mechanical issues, but this forum is better on the camping equipment side. Vwt4forum might be worth an ask too.

Hi my t4 will start when I connect an electric pump going from a Jerry can to the injector pump and sounds okay when I do so , but if I disconnect the electric pump and connect it to the filter ( new one filter , comes straight from the tank then ) she will eventually splutter and stop ,
Would you have any suggestions ??
Is their some sort off vacuum pump anywhere that will pull the fuel through to the injector pump or is the pump needing a rebuild
There are 2 fuel pumps.
Low pressure pump in fuel tank and the Injection pump in the engine bay.

Yeah sounds like the lift pump is not working. Could be the pump itself or the power to it. Not something I’ve ever looked at but it should be pretty straightforward.

There are 2 fuel pumps.
Low pressure pump in fuel tank and the Injection pump in the engine bay.

It's 1991 my westy is looked at sender unit in tank and no wires for a pump
Yeah sounds like the lift pump is not working. Could be the pump itself or the power to it. Not something I’ve ever looked at but it should be pretty straightforward.

received_250731180779875.jpeg

received_250731180779875.jpeg

received_987193632307717.jpeg

Hi guys this is couple pictures of the sender unit in the tank their are only 2 wires which are for the sender itself , no additional wires for a pump of any sort but what is confusing me is that I can physically pump it up and down I tried to upload a video but I can't find it lol

Hi guys this is couple pictures of the sender unit in the tank their are only 2 wires which are for the sender itself , no additional wires for a pump of any sort but what is confusing me is that I can physically pump it up and down I tried to upload a video but I can't find it lol
I don't have a T4 so unable to help further. You might get more info on the T4 Forum.

I’ve just had a wander through the Bently official VW service manual for this MY and I can’t see a lift pump anywhere. Nothing in the tank assy or wiring scheme. This suggests the HP injector pump pulls vacuum on the tank via the filter?

So I guess it’s just a case of working through the system. Remove the fuel lines between tank and filter and blow through to make sure they’re clean.

Fit a new filter and T piece on top of the filter.

Make sure the tank vent pipe is clear. You may have an airlock?