Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5.1 external power supply disconnecting after few hours

CarloDiGiusto

CarloDiGiusto

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
T5.1 Comfortline | Hello everyone and congratulations to the entire community for the quality of information found on this forum.

I'm having a little trouble with my 2013 California 2.0 BiTDI 4Motion DSG with over 205,000km on the wheels. The last one, which I hope to be able to solve with your help, concerns the electrical system. Let's see if I can explain this correctly: when the California is plugged into the campsite's electricity, the control panel display shows the plug symbol; after about three hours, however, the plug symbol disappears and the battery symbol appears: this means that for some reason the external power supply is interrupted. Has something similar already happened to you? How did you solve it?

Thank you for your replies and I can provide more information if needed.
Ciao from a very hot Italy

T5.1 Comfortline | Hello everyone and congratulations to the entire community for the quality of information found on this forum.

I'm having a little trouble with my 2013 California 2.0 BiTDI 4Motion DSG with over 205,000km on the wheels. The last one, which I hope to be able to solve with your help, concerns the electrical system. Let's see if I can explain this correctly: when the California is plugged into the campsite's electricity, the control panel display shows the plug symbol; after about three hours, however, the plug symbol disappears and the battery symbol appears: this means that for some reason the external power supply is interrupted. Has something similar already happened to you? How did you solve it?

Thank you for your replies and I can provide more information if needed.
Ciao from a very hot Italy
When the “ Plug Symbol “ disappears do you lose mains power on the Kitchen unit Mains socket?
If you still have mains power then it is the built in Mains 12v charger that is problematic.
What voltage are you seeing on the Control Panel before the “ plug “ symbol disappears and after it has disappeared?
The Mains charger has been in 2 positions in the vehicle.
Initially, below the fridge but it was prone to overheating.
Later, above the rear leisure battery.
Where is your Mains charger positioned?

When the “ Plug Symbol “ disappears do you lose mains power on the Kitchen unit Mains socket?
If you still have mains power then it is the built in Mains 12v charger that is problematic.
What voltage are you seeing on the Control Panel before the “ plug “ symbol disappears and after it has disappeared?
The Mains charger has been in 2 positions in the vehicle.
Initially, below the fridge but it was prone to overheating.
Later, above the rear leisure battery.
Where is your Mains charger positioned?
First of all, thanks for the reply.
It happens that after a few hours, the external power supply switches to the batteries: the refrigerator switches off after a while (when the batteries are flat), but the socket on the kitchen cabinet continues to supply current. The batteries charge regularly both while traveling and with the solar panel installed a few years ago. I don't know where the charger is...

First of all, thanks for the reply.
It happens that after a few hours, the external power supply switches to the batteries: the refrigerator switches off after a while (when the batteries are flat), but the socket on the kitchen cabinet continues to supply current. The batteries charge regularly both while traveling and with the solar panel installed a few years ago. I don't know where the charger is...
It sounds as is your Mains Battery charger is failing, possibly overheating and the thermal protection is switching it off.
It also sounds as if your leisure batteries are failing to hold charge as well.
If you have solar as well and the fridge only runs for a few hours after the Mains charger switches off then they must be seriously damaged.
Without mains hookup my fridge would run for 5 days or more with my 1 solar panel connected.

You need to locate the Mains Charger and get it checked out and get both Leisure Batteries checked out.

It sounds as is your Mains Battery charger is failing, possibly overheating and the thermal protection is switching it off.
It also sounds as if your leisure batteries are failing to hold charge as well.
If you have solar as well and the fridge only runs for a few hours after the Mains charger switches off then they must be seriously damaged.
Without mains hookup my fridge would run for 5 days or more with my 1 solar panel connected.

You need to locate the Mains Charger and get it checked out and get both Leisure Batteries checked out.
Thanks for the reply.
The batteries are new and as long as they had some juice they kept the fridge running. But then, when I reactivated the external power by turning the main switch off and on, they did not charge. So, based on what you've told me, I'm leaning toward a fault in the external mains charger. Now I just have to figure out where it is and how to replace it.

Ciao WelshGas,
Torno a te con i valori del display del pannello di controllo: trovi che ci sia qualcosa di strano o anomalo? Grazie ancora per la tua gentilezza.

IMG_6211.jpegIMG_6212.jpegIMG_6214.jpeg

Ciao WelshGas,
Torno a te con i valori del display del pannello di controllo: trovi che ci sia qualcosa di strano o anomalo? Grazie ancora per la tua gentilezza.

View attachment 113621View attachment 113622View attachment 113623
It would appear that the Alternator is charging normally.
However the Mains Charger is sub optimal. I would expect a higher voltage.

The Leisure battery voltage is OK.

If the Leisure Battery voltage was 12.4v before plugging into the Mains Charger then I would expect to see close to 14.4v when being charged.

The Mains Charger is probably in the bottom of the rear wardrobe above the rear leisure battery.
I see no evidence of Solar charging. I presume the photos are at night or in a garage.

Sembrerebbe che l'alternatore si stia caricando normalmente.

Tuttavia il caricabatterie di rete è sub ottimale. Mi aspetterei una tensione più alta.

La tensione della batteria per il tempo libero è OK.

Se la tensione della batteria per il tempo libero fosse di 12,4 V prima di collegarsi al caricabatterie di rete, mi aspetterei di vedere vicino a 14,4 V durante la ricarica.

Il caricabatterie di rete è probabilmente nella parte inferiore dell'armadio posteriore sopra la batteria posteriore per il tempo libero.

Non vedo alcuna prova di carica solare. Presumo che le foto siano di notte o in un garage.

Tuttavia il caricatore di rete non è ottimale. Mi aspetterei una tensione più alta.

La tensione della batteria Leisure è OK.

Se la tensione della batteria per il tempo libero fosse di 12,4 V prima di collegarla al caricatore di rete, mi aspetterei di vedere vicino a 14,4 V durante la ricarica.

Il caricabatteria si trova probabilmente nella parte inferiore dell'armadio posteriore, sopra la batteria servizi posteriore.
Non vedo alcuna prova di ricarica solare. Presumo che le foto siano di notte o in un garage.

Tuttavia il caricabatterie di rete è sub ottimale. Mi aspetto una tensione più alta.

La tensione della batteria per il tempo libero è OK.

Se la tensione della batteria per il tempo libero fosse di 12,4 V prima di collegarsi al caricabatterie di rete, mi aspetto di vedere vicino a 14,4 V durante la ricarica.

Il caricabatterie di rete è probabilmente nella parte inferiore dell'armadio posteriore sopra la batteria posteriore per il tempo libero.

Non vedo alcuna prova di carica solare. Presumo che le foto siano di notte o in un garage.
Sì, i pannelli non si caricano a meno che non generino una corrente di 5V superiore a quella delle batterie.

Comunque grazie: questo mese esaminerò il caricabatterie da rete e quando avrò risolto tornerò qui per raccontare come ho fatto. Grazie di cuore per l'aiuto e ciao dall'Italia.