Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 California interior roof light

DavidKeith

DavidKeith

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
The flexible interior roof light on my T5 has broken away from the small plastic bracket fixing it to the vehicle. When I enquired about a replacement, my local VW dealer said that this type of light has been replaced by an LED light. This would confirm my initial thoughts that the flexible wand type light had a basic design fault. My T5 is only 6 months old so I'm hoping to have the light replaced under warranty. I just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience and, if so, what was the outcome?

there are lots of posts on here about the flexi light breaking and I would say it should be fixed under warranty

Very common problem David loads of members have had it replaced under warranty. I replaced mine for a 12v socket in the end

there are lots of posts on here about the flexi light breaking and I would say it should be fixed under warranty
Thank you. I've been asked to take my vehicle to the dealership so that they can assess if it can be replaced under warranty.

Very common problem David loads of members have had it replaced under warranty. I replaced mine for a 12v socket in the end
Thank you Calikev, that sounds hopeful. I'm going to visit the VW garage tomorrow or Wednesday to let them check it out. I'll keep you posted.

We had ours replaced a couple of months ago under warranty with the new led one . Only the light is different, , still the same flexi attachment , so trying to be extra careful with it.
Mrs B

We had ours replaced a couple of months ago under warranty with the new led one . Only the light is different, , still the same flexi attachment , so trying to be extra careful with it.
Mrs B
Thanks Mrs B. I thought the idea of discontinuing the existing light was to do away with the flexi attachment as that seems to be the weak point. Thanks for the info!

I haven't fitted a socket, I'm just waiting for word back from the garage. I've included a couple of pics of the broken light!image.jpegimage.jpeg

David, that's exactly what mine did, and i decided that rather than get it replaced i would fix it properly myself.

1. I pulled out as must wire as possible and made a cut in the middle.
  2. Unscrew the mounting plate and tape the wires or clip them so you don't lose them inside the roof.
  3. Then i drilled out the hole for the flexi arm in the mount with the correct size drill bit. Originally it only goes in a short way, but i extended the hole all the way through.
  4. Using some two part epoxy (or other appropriate adhesive) screw the flexi arm back into the mount until its flush with the bottom of the extended hole.
  5. reconnect the wires using small bullet crimps. you may need to offset the connections so they pass back into the hole in the roof
  6. Test and refit mount

I had the same problem.

My dealer initially told me it wasn't a warranty issue but without me saying a world (they must have read my facial expression) it changed to "we'll see what we can do" to we'll change it and come back to you if the warranty is rejected".

I guess it depends on what your relationship is like with the dealer and how far you decide to push the point.

My view is it's not really fit for purpose and the T6 update is much better, that doesn't really help you.

I had the same problem.

My dealer initially told me it wasn't a warranty issue but without me saying a world (they must have read my facial expression) it changed to "we'll see what we can do" to we'll change it and come back to you if the warranty is rejected".

I guess it depends on what your relationship is like with the dealer and how far you decide to push the point.

My view is it's not really fit for purpose and the T6 update is much better, that doesn't really help you.
My local dealer has agreed to replace the light under warranty. I was hoping they would do away with the flexi tube but, after reading Mrs. B's post above, I'm not so sure. I'll find out on Wednesday and let you know!

Update on the broken light: there is good news and bad news. The good news is that the light has now been replaced with a modified LED version. It's still on a flexible tube but the bracket that fits on to the vehicle is now metal and looks much more substantial than the original plastic one.

The bad news is that the supplied screws were of a smaller diameter and didn't therefore fit the existing holes in the bodywork. The garage only had silver coloured screws of the right size so painted the heads black after fitting. Unfortunately, they've scratched the vehicle paintwork in the process. Ive been offered a tin of touch up paint! But wait, it gets worse; when lowering the roof, the near side didn't close properly. The roof was raised again and this time it did close albeit offside first then nearside. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed a small crease in the roof on the nearside. I've sent a couple of pictures of the roof to the garage and they are going to try to book me in to the bodyshop for a repair.

The bad news is that the supplied screws were of a smaller diameter and didn't therefore fit the existing holes in the bodywork. The garage only had silver coloured screws of the right size so painted the heads black after fitting. Unfortunately, they've scratched the vehicle paintwork in the process. Ive been offered a tin of touch up paint! But wait, it gets worse; when lowering the roof, the near side didn't close properly. The roof was raised again and this time it did close albeit offside first then nearside. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed a small crease in the roof on the nearside. I've sent a couple of pictures of the roof to the garage and they are going to try to book me in to the bodyshop for a repair.
not good makes you want to cry:(

Update on the broken light: there is good news and bad news. The good news is that the light has now been replaced with a modified LED version. It's still on a flexible tube but the bracket that fits on to the vehicle is now metal and looks much more substantial than the original plastic one.

I had the same problem with the screws but my dealer didn't both replacing them just left them loose!
Rather than return I replaced them with larger diameter myself.

I had the same problem with the screws but my dealer didn't both replacing them just left them loose!
Rather than return I replaced them with larger diameter myself.
I'm beginning to think that would have been a better option!

Had the same issue with the light. Funnily enough mine was absolutely fine until my Cali went in for some work. Then when I opened the roof and moved light it had snapped off at the base. VW said it was my issue and I had to pay to get it replaced. They said they hadn't touched it. New light is much sturdier and is brighter.

Had the same issue with the light. Funnily enough mine was absolutely fine until my Cali went in for some work. Then when I opened the roof and moved light it had snapped off at the base. VW said it was my issue and I had to pay to get it replaced. They said they hadn't touched it. New light is much sturdier and is brighter.
What is it with VW garages? I'm getting scared to put mine back into the garage, who knows what they'll do next!

What is it with VW garages? I'm getting scared to put mine back into the garage, who knows what they'll do next!

Yeah its scary isn't it. I guess most of the mechanics in VW Commercial centres get very little training and time working on Californias. My local VWC centre in Bristol have a fleet of rental Cali's so i hope, if i need to use them, that they should be more familiar with the vehicle... hopefully i won't need any work soon though :S

David, that's exactly what mine did, and i decided that rather than get it replaced i would fix it properly myself.

1. I pulled out as must wire as possible and made a cut in the middle.
  2. Unscrew the mounting plate and tape the wires or clip them so you don't lose them inside the roof.
  3. Then i drilled out the hole for the flexi arm in the mount with the correct size drill bit. Originally it only goes in a short way, but i extended the hole all the way through.
  4. Using some two part epoxy (or other appropriate adhesive) screw the flexi arm back into the mount until its flush with the bottom of the extended hole.
  5. reconnect the wires using small bullet crimps. you may need to offset the connections so they pass back into the hole in the roof
  6. Test and refit mount
Many thanks for this advice. I followed it & have now repaired the flexi-light, Cheers!

I know this is an old thread but mine was broken when I bought second hand. I replaced it with an osram LED one which is a perfect fit albeit a little shorter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Copilot-Flexible-interior-connected-cigarette L-7 variant
I fitted it the other way round facing forward so that it tucks into roof canvas space above shutter so less likely to get trapped by bed base when it is pulled down.

I bought a new light and want to install it myself. Do I have to cut the power off before? And if yes how? Hope you can help me!

I bought a new light and want to install it myself. Do I have to cut the power off before? And if yes how? Hope you can help me!
Have a word with d1rtym0nk3y I believe he has repaired his damaged one!

Back