Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 DLRs- stolen

Brindisi

Brindisi

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Had my Cali T5 (2014) broken into at the weekend, they attempted to break the drivers door window (cracked) and then shattered the sliding door window to get in. They stole the RNS 510 Sat Nav damaging the dash. All of this should get sorted through the insurance but the problem I have is they also stole the DLRs which I had retro fitted. They have now been discontinued and there is no alternative. If I can source ‘genuine’ VW replacements the van centre will fit them (citing, unsurprisingly, the integrity of the vans electrics as the issue on non VW lights). Otherwise all they can do is quote for filling the gap with blank inserts.
I have found some on eBay which look the same but aren’t genuine VW. A long shot I know but just wondered if anyone had any suggestions where I could get hold of a couple or, thinking laterally, a solution to my predicament? It was about £300 to get the lights fitted originally and the insert surrounding the light also would need painting so I definitely would want it covered by the insurance.
See the attached image of the lights before they were stolen.

Cheers Brin

386D7365-4DB0-4960-94D1-C24D2DC0618C.jpeg

Thanks Kev.

I’ve been in touch with Nick who’s suggested Vanstyle, who are local to us and who offer similar, quality but again non VW DLRs and will fit for free.
Just got to hope the insurers will be happy to let me do things piecemeal.

Cheers Brin

Grrrr......
Real shame. I feel for you. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Give below a try, they also have T5 parts:

Thanks.
Yes there does seem to be no shortage as you say. I think I’m definitely looking at ‘After Market’ lights with seemingly no VW ones available. The insurers are happy for me to get this part of the work done separately. Probably going to go for a carbon finish option which I think look nice and means I don’t then have the complication of getting a third party to spray them.

BA7E3D93-397D-4C38-8F4D-FD321AFADD2B.png

I'm sorry to here about your recent theft Brin. I hope you get it all satisfactorily sorted soon.

Bring back the cat I say.

Thanks Paul.
I’ve been giving myself a hard time because it’s the one and only time in 5.5 years of having the van that I’ve been uncomfortable about where I left it. Lesley was away in the car and so for the first time I took the Cali to the footie. Bad enough but it was a c**p game: Forest - 0 Cardiff - 1

Thanks Paul.
I’ve been giving myself a hard time because it’s the one and only time in 5.5 years of having the van that I’ve been uncomfortable about where I left it. Lesley was away in the car and so for the first time I took the Cali to the footie. Bad enough but it was a c**p game: Forest - 0 Cardiff - 1
To be fair though it could have happened almost anywhere so don't beat yourself up too much. Regrettably, dodgy types seem to be active every where these days.

We've lost telephone and internet on a couple of occasions in the last few years, for several days at a time after some nice person or persons helped themselves to hundreds of metres of copper cored cable.

A couple of years ago an elderly friend who lives in a wonderful old beamed house opposite had a rare collection of creamware china stolen. She's been broken into a couple more times since.

The stables behind us had a lot of tack and a quad bike stolen only last year. The owner heard them but wisely didn't fancy tackling several men on a dark night on his own.

And it's not only recently either. When we first moved into our house 35 years ago our then next door neighbour had the engine taken out if his car whilst it was inside his garage in broad daylight! They also helped themselves to the contents if his freezer!

Another neighbour recently had a kid stolen, (the four legged variety). That was just before Christmas last year! No prizes for where that ended up.

Sounds like a dodgy crime infested area doesn't it? However it's just a small rural country village in Kent.

Get your van fixed and try to put this nasty episode behind you. It wasn't your fault. It was those poor unfortunate misunderstood theives that had a bad start in life.

Best wishes to to both. Hope to see you both at a meet in the New Year. In the mean time have a great Christmas.

Thanks for the pep talk.
All the best to you and Paddy too for Xmas & the New Year

Is it worth phoning around a few VW Commercial Dealers to see if they have a pair sitting on the shelf in the parts department?

Alan

Back