T5 - dripping noise passenger door when raining

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I've noticed it a few times in the rain a definite loud dripping noise from the left side/uk nearside. It was especially

I realise there are drainage holes in any car/van door but this seems especially loud and seems odd that I dont get it on my side. Anyone else have this, is something a miss?

Are you sure its from the passengers door?
The side sliding windows can let in rain if the seals are not completely free from dirt /mould.
The water would show it self as a drip under the sink /cooker unit .
Very hard to spot unless your under there with a torch when its raining.

Roof up or roof down?

I've been tormented by water noise. I think it's dripping off the roof onto the van body.

I've noticed it a few times in the rain a definite loud dripping noise from the left side/uk nearside. It was especially

I realise there are drainage holes in any car/van door but this seems especially loud and seems odd that I dont get it on my side. Anyone else have this, is something a miss?
The Front Roof drainage holes drain via a tube down the A Pillar. Maybe the tube has become detached. Open roof, and at the front there is a Black Rubber plug with a hole. Try pouring some water in the channel and listen.

Sorry I should have been clearer, I have a beach and I am talking about driving on the road.

I'll have a look later everything looks good visually but I will take a closer look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine has done the same from new. Never found any water inside and now we giggle about it. It's just the Beach Hut spending a penny :thumb

No dripping noise with these old posts but still may be useful.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/leak-in-the-footwell.5600/#post-48754
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/leak-believed-to-be-roof.13217/#post-134668

I heard a distinct gurgling/trickling water noise the other day when sitting in the passenger seat of the stationary van in the rain. Couldn't work out quite where it was coming from, but as it didn't seem to be coming inside, and I didn't fancy going outside into the pouring rain, I didn't investigate further.

Is it definitely in the door area? The sliding side windows leak and have drain holes that should direct the water out under the side glass but also seem to overflow down the inside of the bodywork ( I am on my second window, which leaks ). In the SE the water drips down onto the waste tank and into the under sink cupboard so is quite obvious.

I have occasionally found that the bottom of the left hand cupboard (i.e. under the cooker, not the sink) is wet and haven't been able to figure out where it's coming from. Maybe that's what it is. Will have a look.

Is it definitely in the door area? The sliding side windows leak and have drain holes that should direct the water out under the side glass but also seem to overflow down the inside of the bodywork ( I am on my second window, which leaks ). In the SE the water drips down onto the waste tank and into the under sink cupboard so is quite obvious.
I am usually in traffic when I hear it but it sounds kind of like a tap thats not quite been turned off. Like a trickling sound, as I dont have onboard water at least I know its not that. It could be quite harmless of course but its hard to know.

Ever since the awning went up I get a few extra drips from the end but its definitely not related to that.

I am usually in traffic when I hear it but it sounds kind of like a tap thats not quite been turned off. Like a trickling sound, as I dont have onboard water at least I know its not that. It could be quite harmless of course but its hard to know.

Ever since the awning went up I get a few extra drips from the end but its definitely not related to that.
Are you sure it is not the Front roof drain down the A pillar?

If it's the front roof drain you should see water dripping onto the tyre under the wheel arch.

If it's the front roof drain you should see water dripping onto the tyre under the wheel arch.[/QUOTE
That is assuming the pipework is intact of course. AS WG say's could this have somehow become disconnected? Or could water be getting underneath the rubber bung at top of A pillar and to some extent "missing" the drain hole. Could it be worth checking front roof seal, particularly the seal on the non elevating section of roof between the grommets ?

If front roof drain comes out of rubber gromet in front bulkhead it will run down underside of dash & soak the carpet. Does not make any noise. Mine came away & carpet is very wet.

Water in kitchen cupboards can come from leaking or not properly shut sliding windows. Mine replaced under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sorry for a late response - again.

I too noticed a leak from the nearside sliding window; obviously a common problem which appears not to be solved by changing the window. It's annoying as I store my loo paper at the back of the cupboard under the sink and soggy loo paper is bad news, especially when you are camping. As a cure for the leak appears to be impossible I have diverted the drips from the cupboard to the back of the water tank with a piece of heavy duty polythene (damp proof membrane is perfect) 65cm by 30cm slid up behind the sink, in front of the bracing girder and behind the tank and pipework and fixed at either end with a cable tie round the girder. The emergency kit still fits in place but without the rubber tie.
I know it's not ideal but it was quick, cheap and it works. I just hope that the water evaporates or can drain out of the bottom of the van!

It's annoying as I store my loo paper at the back of the cupboard under the sink and soggy loo paper is bad news, especially when you are camping.
Ortlieb-Toilet-Roll-Holder-F1.jpg

Sorry for a late response - again.

I too noticed a leak from the nearside sliding window; obviously a common problem which appears not to be solved by changing the window. It's annoying as I store my loo paper at the back of the cupboard under the sink and soggy loo paper is bad news, especially when you are camping. As a cure for the leak appears to be impossible I have diverted the drips from the cupboard to the back of the water tank with a piece of heavy duty polythene (damp proof membrane is perfect) 65cm by 30cm slid up behind the sink, in front of the bracing girder and behind the tank and pipework and fixed at either end with a cable tie round the girder. The emergency kit still fits in place but without the rubber tie.
I know it's not ideal but it was quick, cheap and it works. I just hope that the water evaporates or can drain out of the bottom of the van!
I ended up with exactly the same solution, not ideal but it works!

I'd be interested to know whether you ever got to the bottom of this dripping noise? I've got exactly the same on my T6 Ocean - roof down, sitting in the van (usually in slow moving traffic!) in heavy-ish rain. Always coming from what sounds like the passenger side door. I've checked everywhere and cannot find any signs of water ingress. Carpets are all bone dry, no sign of water in the cupboard or on/near the waste water tank. The only thing I can think of that's different between the driver and the passenger door is that the driver door is partially obscured by the awning, so perhaps that shields the driver door from this water path?

I have occasionally found that the bottom of the left hand cupboard (i.e. under the cooker, not the sink) is wet and haven't been able to figure out where it's coming from. Maybe that's what it is. Will have a look.
Did you check your siding window seals? (Sorry if problems fixed already - please ignore)

Back