Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 Exhaust replacement

marshian70

marshian70

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Think my 2010 T5.1 will be due a new exhaust shortly.
Interested in what others have done/recommendations:
Options are go to the dealer and get a genuine VW one - not looked into prices yet
Aftermarket although I am aware quality can vary wildly
Aftermarket stainless steel
Thoughts welcome
Cheers

Following!
My 2010 exhaust looks shot but my mechanic says they can go on for years, suggesting the OE exhaust is a double layer construction and my rot is the outer layer only.

Following!
My 2010 exhaust looks shot but my mechanic says they can go on for years, suggesting the OE exhaust is a double layer construction and my rot is the outer layer only.
Thanks, that's good to hear - must be the outer layer gone on mine too - the rest of it does feel solid to be honest

I got told by a VW dealer in Ashford that i might need a new exhaust as the
middle box was a bit rusty.
I thought that i would wait until it blew a hole in it.
2 yrs later it´s still going strong.

If and when i do replace it, i think i will try to get an original or stainless one.

My tail box got a special mention at the last MOT in March. Still going strong. Won't change it until it blows.

I am tempted by a stainless one, but would not want the twin tail pipes. which seem to be popular. At my age that isn't a massive selling point.

Would be happy with a stainless replacement OEM one though, but haven't seen one yet.

Alan

Milltek appear to have an extensive range for the T5 but I'm with you, not looking for anything more than OEM equivalent

Seems we all have similar stories!

I did meet these guys at a show www.pptuning.co.uk and was very impressed with the conversation. Stainless steel and they fully understood the desire to keep things as original as possible. In Louth Lincolnshire from memory.

Has anyone replaced there exhaust with a stainless steel one.
what one did you go for and any recommendations in Berkshire / Hampshire area thanks.

Has anyone replaced there exhaust with a stainless steel one.
what one did you go for and any recommendations in Berkshire / Hampshire area thanks.
Are you going for it Jeff?
How old is your current one?

Are you going for it Jeff?
How old is your current one?
Original one still going 2008 Cali but getting rather rusty I thought I might replace it .
just had brakes and discs all round and off side drive shaft.
First repairs since owning it from new.

Original one still going 2008 Cali but getting rather rusty I thought I might replace it .
just had brakes and discs all round and off side drive shaft.
First repairs since owning it from new.
Thats not bad going at all, you must love that van.:thumb

I have been a bit concerned about the condition of my exhaust (Sept 2013), but the MoT tester at my regular garage who gave it a pass 3 weeks ago told me that as they are double skin, they can look pretty bad but still be doing an effective job.
I had already been researching a stainless steel replacement and pptuning look like a good bet for a replacement, but I won't be doing it until it is really dying.
Incidentally, the exhaust on my previous MH (Merc. Sprinter base) was 17 years old with hardly a trace of rust.P3160070.JPGP3160071.JPGP3160072.JPG