Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 facelift replacement speakers

M

MickyBlue

VIP Member
Any recommendations as a decent improvement on the OEM ones.

I would prefer 'custom fit' but would be happy to make minor mods to get a decent set up to fit.

TIA
Mike

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

I was also wondering about this & would be interested in any comments or recommendations.

Also any tips on removing the trims/covers, or links to would be very useful if someone could point in the right direction

Just a point for info - I recall people saying on the Facebook pages that the van's speakers are quite decent - its the head unit that's pretty rubbish for sound.

Ian

Ian, I can agree with that, mine was upgraded to the RCD 510 and has a much better sound than the standard fit system and did not feel the need to change the speakers anymore. You can get an RCD 510 on Ebay for around £200 and is a straight swap over it also has the added benefit of climate control settings and the parking sensors on the big touch screen.

Ok I get the message that the speakers are OK, & I have seriously upgraded the head unit.....may add extra amp etc etc

So I may still need better speakers, I'm still interested to hear about what's better/recommended. ;)

Martin - I'm on eBay now! Is it easy to swap over?

(Mike - sorry to mess with your post - I'll stop after this :oops: )

Ian, someone did mine for me but I was told it is only a 5 minute job and is easily done yourself as you just need to remove the old radio re-connect the new one, it might be worth listening to one first to see if you can tell the difference between the two. The RCD 510 is 20W per channel, I am not sure what the original one is.

No Probs guys, maybe we should have a dedicated ICE/SatNag upgrade section on the forum?! with how to's, hints & tips etc

good idea Mike, I will get this added to the technical section as a sub section.

Thanks, Martin. Feel free to tidy my Audio Options thread into there!

Micky: there was a brief discussion about the DynAudio option there (which upgrades both speakers and amp).

I'd also wondered (in that thread) about swapping out the 310 for the 510. Seems odd that VW don't offer that model on the Cali.

Aside from the bigger (and touch) screen (which would be nice but not essential), and the 6 CD changer (which I don't need, and may be more hassle than it's worth) are there any other differences?
I'd got the impression (from this page) that both the RCD310 and 510 were 4x 20W (assuming the Golf and Cali models are the same!).

Best wishes,
Steve