Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wanted T5 SE Rear shelf and/or fixings

Unfortunately the holes in the brackets for the bolt are 5.5mm diameter but the board's threaded inserts are M6. I will have to drill out the bracket to 6mm so the bolts will go through. Putting this here in case anyone else uses the same parts.

Hi, I’ve just realised what you’ve explained, my rear shelf was metal, therefore the thread inserts in the metal were probably smaller. Your board is wooden I think, therefor they may have used a larger insert thread than mine. The original mounting post that sat under the index plunger cam was slightly different to what came from WDS. The two bolts sat inside about half way, meaning original bolts were too short for the replacement mounting posts. We just got longer bolts.

If you’re thread inserts in your wooden board are larger and therefore your bolts won’t fit through the holes in the mounting posts and index plungers, you could buy smaller bolts that will slide through your inserts and then place a conventional nut and washer on the underside of your board and tighten. You may need a lot longer bolt, but that’s a quick way round. You can buy plastic nut covers off Amazon to hide the nut underneath your board. Just try m5 or m6, whatever will pass through the thread inserts in your board.

Happy to assist or talk over phone if you need more help
Regards Wayne

Back