Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Impressions after first 6 months camping

Good read O/P.
When I had the manual roof on my Beach. I found to open or close, pull down on the grab handle on the side of the clip and unclip bottom section and then top whilst pulling down.
To pack, as Borris said. Don’t fold and roll, carefully stuff into the sides.

The kitchen is brilliant. Both of my older camper vans had doors that opened into the living area and were a total pain. Hence I then spent 5 years in a Beach.
The Ocean with its sliding doors, works so well. The storage and facilities it offers, has been brilliant to us.

So we have done 2 separate weeks of camping in our relatively new T6.1 Coast this summer and here are my pros/cons thoughts.

Space

Frankly am very impressed. No problems packing up for 4 + dog. Both beds wide enough for 2 people to sleep.
My only thing would be I am 5’10” and bed just about long enough. Any taller and you’d need to sleep with legs bent I think.
We use a tent to dump all our stuff on site which works well.

Radio turns off after 30 mins

Come on! How hard would it be to wire up stereo to leisure battery. It’s a camper for gods sake. There must be a good reason for this as otherwise it’s an appalling design fault.

The manual roof is a pain to open/close

I fell into the smug ‘manual is better as it won’t break’ group but have found myself wishing I had the auto roof as the manual is genuinely hard to clip open and closed. My wife and kids can’t do it.

Some bits feel fragile, plasticky and prone to break

I’m looking at you window blinds, plastic clips on awning legs and catches on cupboard doors.
Also the cover on the bottom of the sliding door bracket snapped off randomly and the draw under the bench caught when sliding it back in and cracked (warranty issues I think).

I love driving it

High up, 150bhp is plenty, auto gearbox fab

The onboard kitchen is tremendously useful

Had been drawn to the Beach as was skeptical how useful the kitchen would be but so glad I went for the full fat. The fridge, cooker and sink have transformed our camping experience from when we were tent only.

I live in constant worry about getting stuck in a field without 4motion

Let’s face it. Camping in U.K. involves rain and this heavy van is spending a lot of time on wet grass. How much of a problem is getting stuck really? 4motion wasn’t an option for me as it is just too expensive.

I can live without most of the Ocean extras

The 4motion and auto roof being the only things I’d like but can’t get on a Coast.
I consider the reversing camera to be essential given the poor rear visibility.
I also added the rear aircon which is essential if you have kids in back.
I had the auto parking option which is useless.

The seats are a bit rubbish

They stain super easy.
The driver seat creaks.
Swiveling the seats is a pain and you HAVE TO TURN THE PARKING BREAK OFF. I FORGET EVERY TIME. AND ITS A PAIN IF YOU ARE ON CHOCKS.

Conclusion

The van makes camping a super posh experience and you’ll love it if like me, you are coming from a tent background. If however, you are not used to camping and think it will make camping palatable and more hotel like, think again. It’s still camping. Try before you buy.
I too think the manual roof is a bit awkward but It gets a bit easier every time I use It. Still prefer manual ( having had both )

My wife can't close the rear door if the chairs are not in it to add weight... the kids and I were having fun watching her this week so we video'd it, but I will NOT be posting for fear of my life and marriage...

Spoil sport…:)

My wife can't close the rear door if the chairs are not in it to add weight... the kids and I were having fun watching her this week so we video'd it, but I will NOT be posting for fear of my life and marriage...
Go on, you know you want to. :thumb

I manage to break the plastic cover of the sliding drawer under the rear bench too. Tried to get it fixed under warranty but I was told off! Literally, the VW service advisor told me that I apparently did not know how to operate it...
I'll probably get the replacement ordered anyway - it looks just awful.
Also, we too managed to break off the plastic locking mechanism of the under-the-sink cabinets. To make things worse, at first, the plastic element that is attached to the wall of the cabinet broke off, which is a major PITA to replace (you need to pull the fridge up). Next, the lock on the left door broke off. Fortunately, both parts were like €35 and some 1 hr to get them replaced. They had them in stock because they have got many requests from the rental companies - seems to me as if it was a common issue.
I've also got another issue: the popup bed mattress got damaged - the mattress lining material got torn where it touches the butterfly springs, exactly where you put the most of your weight down ;). Again, VW said it must have been an abusive use case. Apparently, my kids need a bit more instruction on how to sleep still...
I will not mention the windshields blinds that stretched in the Sicilian sun and developed some slack. It's now almost impossible to get them to stay in the extended position plus there's a gap between the right and left blind...

Apart from that, I have spent 2 great mos in our Cali enjoying Sicilly :)

I manage to break the plastic cover of the sliding drawer under the rear bench too. Tried to get it fixed under warranty but I was told off! Literally, the VW service advisor told me that I apparently did not know how to operate it...
I'll probably get the replacement ordered anyway - it looks just awful.
Also, we too managed to break off the plastic locking mechanism of the under-the-sink cabinets. To make things worse, at first, the plastic element that is attached to the wall of the cabinet broke off, which is a major PITA to replace (you need to pull the fridge up). Next, the lock on the left door broke off. Fortunately, both parts were like €35 and some 1 hr to get them replaced. They had them in stock because they have got many requests from the rental companies - seems to me as if it was a common issue.
I've also got another issue: the popup bed mattress got damaged - the mattress lining material got torn where it touches the butterfly springs, exactly where you put the most of your weight down ;). Again, VW said it must have been an abusive use case. Apparently, my kids need a bit more instruction on how to sleep still...
I will not mention the windshields blinds that stretched in the Sicilian sun and developed some slack. It's now almost impossible to get them to stay in the extended position plus there's a gap between the right and left blind...

Apart from that, I have spent 2 great mos in our Cali enjoying Sicilly :)
That’s a real shame, I thought they were built to last - they’ve just upgraded the cupboards haven’t they?
Any lessons learned?

That’s a real shame, I thought they were built to last - they’ve just upgraded the cupboards haven’t they?
Any lessons learned?
I don't think there was too much to take away from that situation. Both my partner and I have been really cautious but things still happened. I also don't think that living a couple of months in a Cali was ever considered a standard scenario. It's a weekend car, designed to be on and off across the year, not turned into a condo ;)
The silver lining is that most of the damages/wear and tear is relatively easy and cheap to fix.

Very wise

Back