Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 - Water system at -20 Degrees, will it freeze?

ddgp

ddgp

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi guys,

What are your thoughts? If a T6.1 Ocean is at -20, will the main water tank freeze if the car is kept with the heater running?

Cheers

Hi guys,

What are your thoughts? If a T6.1 Ocean is at -20, will the main water tank freeze if the car is kept with the heater running?

Cheers
Probably?!
I understand from experienced owners on this forum that it’s good practice to drain your tanks in winter to be safe.
I have often wondered what people do when parked up at Ski Resorts though?

Hi guys,

Cheers

I would certainly empty the waste tank. If on hook up can you put a small heater at the back end of the van? & as others said leave cupboard doors open.

A sub zero degree wind is more likely to cause freezing than a windless -20 where the heater exhaust will provide a micro climate under the Cali.

Personally would drain the water tanks due to the risk being on the freezing sides favour.

I maybe being a little cautious here (I've had experience of freezing pipes and central heating radiators in a house that was being lived in - inconvenient, unpleasant and expensive) but for me its just not worth the risk. Set your heater to a low/anti frost temperature, drain the fresh and grey water tanks. Drink bottled water and leave your greywater tank open to drain into a bucket and dispose of in the proper way when full. As for washing up, in winter I would always stay on a site with good facilities and use them.

I have often wondered what people do when parked up at Ski Resorts though?
Parked up at a good Ski resort winter camping the water tank isn't needed,
I've always drained ours before going, but if i really needed water in the tank
i would keep the bottom shelf free and open with the cupboards open.
Shouldn't freeze then seeing that all of the plumbing is internal.

I would drain both if the van is not to be kept above freezing inside by heating. I have had spells of -2c with a full tank and heater use while away but always drain while not in use for more than a day.

I had my old cali going with water at -5 if you are going to try it do what I do with my joker and only have 5L (tank is 70l on my van). The water normally will help stop the gas freezing as that tends to go first on cali.
To be honest you are better off with a couple of 5L bottles and not risk it.

I’ve learnt something from this thread. Didn’t realise the gas could freeze! Thanks.

We go winter camping in the snow this weekend, expected temperatures of -15 Celsius.

We do that more often, but then we don't use the fresh water tank (we always drain it when not camping), we have a foldable 10L canister to be used inside. To be on the safe side.
We have been in -15 Celsius before, quite unexpected, and had the fresh water tank in use, then. Must say, it wasn't a problem at all: we keep the van heated when camping, and all the water systems worked flawlessly. Indeed, cupboards a little open.

The waste water tank, being in the back of the cupboards, was also no problem, then. But when prepared, indeed we have the valve open, and a little bucket underneath the drain pipe. That will freeze, sometimes...

In winter we always use are refillable propane bottles, so never any gas issues.