Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

'Pump protection active. Please add fresh water.'

tobyprivett

tobyprivett

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi, I have a few threads about water pumps but not seen one that mentions the console error:
'Pump protection active. Please add fresh water.'

When I open the fresh water tap (T6.1), water comes out slowly and it sounds like there is air in the system. After a few seconds, the pumps switches off and the above error comes up on the console.

I drained the fresh water tank and refilled. Tried sucking on the tap.

Haven't opened the tank cover (inside the wardrobe) yet. Or rummaged under the sink. Before I do that, wondered if others have encountered the exact error?

Will take it to VW but am travelling at the moment. Thanks in advance!

I had a similar issue recently. I can't recall the error message on the control panel mind you. There was power getting to the pump, so it was either an issue with the pump, or air in the system.

I had been trying the old tap suck trick, but hadn't been doing it hard enough. I also blew down the tap which helped. So a good hard suck and blow. (Things I'd never thought I'd type into a VW forum!)

I recommend closing all the blinds when doing this though. It was not my most dignified moment.

Lots of sucking and blowing! Still not clear…

I hope you get it sorted as that was the extent of my technical knowledge!

I read about the shower connector helping to clear the lines. Don’t have one tho

Water filler cap off?
Agree with that, the tank holds quite a vacuum when emptying. @tobyprivett if that alone doesn’t sort it, try brim filling the tank to make sure you have as much pressure head on the pump as possible. If all that fails, I think it’s a trip to VW mate.

1) Remove filler cap
2) blow back up the tap
3) acknowledge error msg on control panel by pressing "ok"

Took it into VW and their system reports this issue when the water level sensor isn’t working. They suspect a software issue and have booked it in for a couple of weeks time. Will report back.

Should add - my water level sensor is working correctly so it’s not the issue they have on file.

A week before I took the van in to get the error sorted, the display showed a red warning triangle error.

Just pick it up from VW and they said they replaced the water pump. That was all they had to do, apparently.

Hi,
Do you have this issue on the kitchen unit or in the shower? When we open the tap in the kitchen works fine, but the in the shower we have that issue. The water tank is not full (maybe 3/4 full)

I had the issue with the kitchen tap. I don’t have the shower connection

It would seem that on the T6.1 the Control Panel monitors the power consumption on the pump thus much more sensitive to changes whereas on the T6 and previous the pump worked or failed and the fuse normally blew when pump failed/seized.

I am now having this issue also with my 22 6.1
This is regular after draining and refilling the fresh tank. Its just the pump protecting itself from running dry and has detected a small air lock after refill. Just tap "ok" on the control panel and try again. If it persists are hitting ok, then you may well have a stubborn air lock. Try taking the filler off and blowing up the tap. 9/10 times I have hit "ok" on the panel and the tap then runs fine. Its just a case of acknowledging the message. As @WelshGas says, its just a little oversensitive.