Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Gear changes impacted after emissions recall

California Dreamin

California Dreamin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Having had the recall done last week (the one that is billed as increasing the AdBlue consumption during regen) I have found that our T6 is now remaining in too high a gear (and struggling) requiring a kick down whereas previously it would have silently changed down. Most obvious when coasting at about 30 and then hitting a small incline - fails change down from D6/D7.

This is all quite subjective - apart from one thing - the noise - like old-school wrong gear - when its struggling in too high a gear.

The dealership have been great - they checked the update and confirmed that it was engine only, no change to the gearbox. They also checked the gearbox adaption dates and nothing has been reset. So this leaves me wondering what has been changed in the engine programming that might have caused this.

Workaround, use more fuel and kick down when needed (even for minor inclines) or live with dieseling-grumbling from the engine under stress or selecting S rather than D to hide the problem - and of course also disables the costing function.

Anyone else noticed a change?

Last edited:
Having had the recall done last week (the one that is billed as increasing the AdBlue consumption during regen) I have found that our T6 is now remaining in too high a gear (and struggling) requiring a kick down whereas previously it would have silently changed down. Most obvious when coasting at about 30 and then hitting a small incline - fails change down from D6/D7.

This is all quite subjective - apart from one thing - the noise - like old-school wrong gear - when its struggling in too high a gear.

The dealership have been great - they checked the update and confirmed that it was engine only, no change to the gearbox. They also checked the gearbox adaption dates and nothing has been reset. So this leaves me wondering what has been changed in the engine programming that might have caused this.

Workaround, use more fuel and kick down when needed (even for minor inclines) or live with dieseling-grumbling from the engine under stress or selecting S rather than D to hide the problem - and of course also disables the costing function.

Anyone else noticed a change?
Hi CD
When the factory settings are changed, the whole “learned” system is reset to factory settings.
This includes the gearbox.
These vans Use a “learned” system to determine the users driving style and adjust the settings accordingly over time.
Normal use of the van should see this settle down to your driving style.

My van went in for a starter battery replacement under warranty, when I got it back I immediately noticed the gear changes had changed.

It will settle down in time, to suit your driving style

The dealer should know this and have made you aware.

Or just use the paddles?

Back