T6 Ocean Roof Rails

Cali Ali

Cali Ali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Has any one fitted roof rails on to the elevating roof of a T6 Ocean

My local dealer does not know if the standard VW roof rails fit an Ocean

He can offer standard roof bars but this will take the overall hight over 2M which I am trying to avoid ( The roof rails have a lower hight profile)

Here is an example of what they look like on a standard TransporterT6 Roof Rails.jpg

Roof bars = 2m plus .....always.(maybe not when lowerd and nothing else on the roof bars)

Has any one fitted roof rails on to the elevating roof of a T6 Ocean

My local dealer does not know if the standard VW roof rails fit an Ocean

He can offer standard roof bars but this will take the overall hight over 2M which I am trying to avoid ( The roof rails have a lower hight profile)

Here is an example of what they look like on a standard TransporterView attachment 21496
Hi Ali
I’m looking for the same - did you ever find a solution?

Someone on here in the last few weeks was saying that he had come up with a prototype to get the height to a bare minimum.

Suggest doing a search on here to locate and contact direct.

Just buy standard VW rails, and then buy some T-Track bolts that fit through the holes in the rails, slide the T-Track adaptors into your Cali roof slots and then fix the rail to these ( you might need to cut the threads down on the top of T-Track bolts)

The whole point of the California Roof slot system is that the vehicle is sub 2 metres in height. Cross bars can be easily slotted in to carry whatever and then the vehicle height, because of the roof load, becomes immaterial but once the load is removed so can the cross bars. Having such crossbars permenantly in place negates one of the big +'s of the California, sub 2m height.

The whole point of the California Roof slot system is that the vehicle is sub 2 metres in height. Cross bars can be easily slotted in to carry whatever and then the vehicle height, because of the roof load, becomes immaterial but once the load is removed so can the cross bars. Having such crossbars permenantly in place negates one of the big +'s of the California, sub 2m height.
Point well made.

Also driving with roof bars attached will have negative impact on fuel consumption.

Just buy standard VW rails, and then buy some T-Track bolts that fit through the holes in the rails, slide the T-Track adaptors into your Cali roof slots and then fix the rail to these ( you might need to cut the threads down on the top of T-Track bolts)
Hi Chippy ...... if I may?! :)
Can I ask if your suggestion is based on experience or a calculated guess?
Im still trying to find a solution for my front to back roof rails then subsequent cross bars.
There appears to be only on suppler of rails for Cali pop tops and that's Germansell.de at £200ish

Hi Chippy ...... if I may?! :)
Can I ask if your suggestion is based on experience or a calculated guess?
Im still trying to find a solution for my front to back roof rails then subsequent cross bars.
There appears to be only on suppler of rails for Cali pop tops and that's Germansell.de at £200ish
It’s just a guess, as use whispbars fitted in the factory fitted slots that already exist on the Caliroof...and would suggest that you do the same otherwise you are adding additional weight to an already fragile roof.

For my older fibreglass T4 roof, I had to drill & fit guide channels front to back (similar to those on a Cali). The channels were attached using wellnuts- same bolts used for straps on kayaks.

It’s just a guess, as use whispbars fitted in the factory fitted slots that already exist on the Caliroof...and would suggest that you do the same otherwise you are adding additional weight to an already fragile roof.

For my older fibreglass T4 roof, I had to drill & fit guide channels front to back (similar to those on a Cali). The channels were attached using wellnuts- same bolts used for straps on kayaks.
Thanks for your help on this
May have to adapt a set to fit the t track but am giving VW a second chance to source some. Can’t believe they don’t do them when they are clearly an option on factory purchases
If I get any luck I’ll update the post and let other know

Thanks for your help on this
May have to adapt a set to fit the t track but am giving VW a second chance to source some. Can’t believe they don’t do them when they are clearly an option on factory purchases
If I get any luck I’ll update the post and let other know