Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Roof Gap

jason.oneill4

jason.oneill4

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Just wondering if anyone has this issue?

If you stand at the rear of your Cali - with the roof in the closed position, try and lift the roof corner on the passenger side. Specifically see if you can get your finger(s) in under the closed roof seal (right in under the corner)? Then try the same process on the other rear corner driver side. I can lift this corner by an inch or so and actually see in under the roof panel but not the passenger side which is closed tightly. VW say this is normal..... Any thoughts? J.

Not on my T5.1 California.

If you stand at the rear of your Cali - with the roof in the closed position, try and lift the roof corner on the passenger side. Specifically see if you can get your finger(s) in under the closed roof seal (right in under the corner)? Then try the same process on the other rear corner driver side. I can lift this corner by an inch or so and actually see in under the roof panel but not the passenger side which is closed tightly. VW say this is normal..... Any thoughts? J.

A friend of mine had the same problem (LHD) so the gap was on the right side. She had to bring it to a VW Center and the had to fix something... forgot what it was. So I guess best is to show it to your trusted garage? Good luck!

Just been out and tried my T6 and can't lift either corner

d41b1ca9f02a11158ec8af89faa842bc.jpg

Here's a picture from her roof-gap.

I would be more worried about the paint bubbling under the rubber seal.
Check under seal when the vehicle is 6 months old.

She just wrote me that the problem was some kind of missing garden hose piece... (sorry for my English)

I have just checked (in my PJs and dressing gown.....wonder why the neighbours think I'm weird??) and I can't get my fingers in anywhere between the roof and body (but it has been said I have sausage fingers). Can only imagine it is a set up issue with the scissors and don't think it will take long for the dealer to rectify. Let us know how you get on! :thumb

Last edited:
In my view the roof should lock down flush, not have a gap, and if one exists then it is a fault.

Doesn't sound right to me - mine's tight as a duck's a*** - which is exactly as it should be since it's primary job is to keep the water out ;)

I now have this mental picture of a duck listing to starboard from the rear :shocked

Reactions: DM

Picked up the Cali this morning and according to VW it's not an issue and other Cali's on site have a similar gap... I didn't witness this for myself but will take them at face value. They said it could be linked to having the awning fitted... hmmmm - we'll see?

They fixed it and now it is tight they sait to her that it could be because of the awening.

Back